Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higher power binoculars for west coast glassing - yay/nay?

Re: Higher power binoculars for west coast glassing - yay/nay?

I have both 10x and 12x Nikons. I use the 12x more these days, but both are good. 15 or 18x would be useless. I feel the same about spotters. I have no need for them.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Really depends on the style of hunting your doing, for myself 10x42 binos…..”I don’t leave home without them” ,

it’s the perfect compromise for an all round balance in power/size for hunting, I don’t hunt without my spotting scope, if I’m glassing for extended periods my spotting scope is set up to use, it will do you no good when you spot an animal at distance that needs to be identified if it’s in the truck.

A very experienced Sheep Hunter slapped that into me so many times while Sheep Hunting or Alpine Mule Deer hunting, don’t glass without your spotter set up.

Now on to the 15x binoculars….if you have a chance to use a 15x56 say Swarovski or Zeiss binocular on a tripod you will be amazed at the difference it makes, Barry ( Brew on HBC) has a set of Swarovski 15x56 and he uses them on a tripod and I was lucky enough to get to use them on a Sheep count in Spenses a cpl years back and I was blown away at the field of view, clarity and brilliance never mind the ease to spot an animal…..the downside is the size and weight of course, you have to have a need for them but they are a joy to look through.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I think the key here is “west coast” hunting. Anywhere on the coast is going to be thick brush, or a logging slash. There are very few situations where you need higher magnification in these areas. On a sheep hunt, sure. If you are often hunting above tree line at the coast, then ok. But if you are blacktail hunting on the islands or west of Hope, you will find very limited opportunities to use a spotter or high power binos. At least that’s my experience.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Lots of good advice here, In my opinion getting high powered binoculars for coastal hunting would be a waste of money. I have glassed goats multiple kilometers away with 10 power binoculars, patience means a lot more than magnification. Spotters are great for judging animals once located or useful for hunting in areas that have antler restrictions and you want to count tines from a distance. For coastal hunting you will be able to find game as far as you can see with you 10 power binos. The only time I would start thinking about higher power than about 12 would be if you are going on a sheep hunt, and even then I think I would take the large field of view from smaller binos and just packing a spotter for judging and looking way off.

Go for clarity as your number 1 choice,,,,A 10x high quality optic will see way mor than a low to mid quality 12 power,,ask me how I know LOL
    I have $400 Leupolds at 12x, $800 Leupolds at 10x, and $3500 Swaros at 10x,,,the Swaros out perform the others by a long shot,,as in a huge noticable different in what you can see way out there,,,counting points on a deer at 100 yards is a no brainer with the Swaros,,the Leupolds,,,,not a chance

I've been using 7x35 Bushnell binoculars since the 1970s.

I have looked through my friend's Zeiss 8-power binoculars and yes, they are sharper and crisper, but I wouldn't want to use any binos stronger than that. I've looked through others' 10-power binoclarl sinthe field and they are too wobbly for me.

If you educate yourself enough, you will learn that there 100% is a time and place for 15x binos. Im not sure the west coast is it though. When you have a huge mountainside to pick apart, looking for a bedded animal hiding behind a bush and you have the patience to really look the 15x idea is a valuable one.

Listen to some of the podcasts by the top desert sheep guides. They are getting paid huge $ just to scout for people, they are experts in glassing and they have honed their craft. So there is a time and a place for the big power glass...alpine, sagebrush, semi open timber...I just don't think the west coast is that place, and I don't think it makes sense for most typical resident hunters in BC.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by brappinburro View Post
    I’ve been looking at maybe getting a pair of 15x or 18x binoculars. I’m undecided if they’re of value in densely treed areas on the coast. I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 in a chest pack so if I were to get anything with more power I would be mounting them to a tripod.
    Most of the searching I’ve done has only lead me to threads about 8-12x binoculars. There doesn’t seem to be too many people using higher powers. Seems like the majority jump to a spotter (I’m not really interested in a spotter). I’m new to hunting and only looking to fill my freezer (just deer for now but hopefully elk and moose one day). I’m not looking for the perfect animal. I haven’t played with a spotter or higher powered binoculars but feel like the binoculars would be better to look through.
    I could end up spending some time in the interior or further north where things open up a more which I would see a higher power being more useful but am unsure of their use in the denser treed areas. Is glassing as useful in the subalpine/denser woods? Just looking for some insight as I sit here with a broken leg staring out the window. It’s not a small purchase for good quality glass so I want to have a better idea of how useful they’d be. It’s more tempting while I can’t walk and it’s the only way to look into the mountains.
    Cheers

Myself I have used Day in/out 10X40 Zeiss for most of the past 45+ years of Commercial hunting in the Mountains. We found the 15X60 Power Zeiss Binoculars to be considerable easier on the Eyes during long spotting sessions then any Spotting Scope however they both need a firm Platform like a good Triepot.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Three years ago my brother in-law and I both bought Nikon Laser Force 10X42 binoculars. Probably the best Pease of hunting equipment I've purchased , next to investing in high quality wool hunting clothing. for extended glassing periods, I just balance them on top of my primos shooting stick.These glasses have taken a beating over the years . From being exposed to sever weather ,bouncing around on the quads, you name it they've stood the test of time.Great glass! well worth the investment,imo. I would definitely recommend them.