Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher power binoculars for west coast glassing - yay/nay?

Higher power binoculars for west coast glassing - yay/nay?

I’ve been looking at maybe getting a pair of 15x or 18x binoculars. I’m undecided if they’re of value in densely treed areas on the coast. I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 in a chest pack so if I were to get anything with more power I would be mounting them to a tripod.
    Most of the searching I’ve done has only lead me to threads about 8-12x binoculars. There doesn’t seem to be too many people using higher powers. Seems like the majority jump to a spotter (I’m not really interested in a spotter). I’m new to hunting and only looking to fill my freezer (just deer for now but hopefully elk and moose one day). I’m not looking for the perfect animal. I haven’t played with a spotter or higher powered binoculars but feel like the binoculars would be better to look through.
    I could end up spending some time in the interior or further north where things open up a more which I would see a higher power being more useful but am unsure of their use in the denser treed areas. Is glassing as useful in the subalpine/denser woods? Just looking for some insight as I sit here with a broken leg staring out the window. It’s not a small purchase for good quality glass so I want to have a better idea of how useful they’d be. It’s more tempting while I can’t walk and it’s the only way to look into the mountains.
    Cheers
    Last edited by brappinburro; 02-05-2024 at 01:01 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Higher power binoculars for west coast glassing - yay/nay?

Your vipers are not tripod compatable? There is usually a threaded cap on the front of the barrel of many binos that threads off allowing a tripod adapter to be connected.

My recommendations are:

1. IMO, don't waste your money on a binocular over 10x. They will be all but useless in hand when not mounted on a (GOOD) tripod. They are useless in heavier timber( I still prefer my old 8x's over my 10x's in the bush). I use my 10x binos in more open country, often on a tripod and can glass for game farther than I can shoot.
    2. learn to sit and glass patiently and properly. I know 2 guys that wasted big $$$ on alpha class binos and spotter because they can't sit still long enough to use either. The best glass/guns/gear in the world wont make you a better hunter if you don't know how to use it.
    3. If you are new to hunting, don't waste money on a spotter until you get good at glassing with your bino's. With some practice(and patience), you'll start glassing game with your bino's. You may find you don't need a spotter at all.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-05-2024 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Your vipers are not tripod comatible? There is usually a threaded cap on the front of the barrel of many binos that threads off allowing a trpiod adapter to be connected.

My recommendations are:

1. IMO, don't waste your money on a binocular over 10x. They will be all but useless in hand when not mounted on a (GOOD) tripod. They are useless in heavier timber( I still prefer my old 8x's over my 10x's in the bush). I use my 10x binos in more open country, often on a tripod and can glass for game farther than I can shoot.
    2. learn to sit and glass patiently and properly. I know 2 guys that wasted big $$$ on alpha class binos and spotter because they can't sit still long enough to use either. The best glass/guns/gear in the world wont make you a better hunter if you don't know how to use it.
    3. If you are new to hunting, don't waste money on a spotter until you get good at glassing with your bino's. With some practice(and patience), you'll start glassing game with your bino's. You may find you don't need a spotter at all.
    ^^^^ X's 2 ^^^^^^^ priceless advice there
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

I agree,

unless you go mountain hunting it’s not really needed, I use my 10x swaros for everything, spotter lives at home unless goat hunting

The wife bought me the Swarovski spotting scope. I have yet to find a situation to use it. I did think of it when hunting, as I left it in my vehicle and I worried someone might broke in the vehicle.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

I sold my spotter because I didn't use it for hunting. Using my 10x42 binoculars With the outdoorsman stud and adapter off a tripod is ninety nine percent of my glassing.

Maya advice cake that money you were gonna spend and upgrade your binoculars
    Last edited by sako79; 02-05-2024 at 09:18 AM.

Your 10x42's will be fine. Learn to glass.

Untill you need to start counting tines or Rings stick with the 10s. Use the cash for gas or new boots etc

I'm with Ron C

10x are about as much as I want in a hunting binocular. Vipers have pretty good glass. If you want more magnification then you want a telescope, not higher power binoculars.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Seems like a solid consensus - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Your vipers are not tripod compatable? There is usually a threaded cap on the front of the barrel of many binos that threads off allowing a tripod adapter to be connected.
    Yeah the Vipers can go on a tripod as well. I meant that I don’t intend to handhold a higher power binocular.

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Maya advice cake that money you were gonna spend and upgrade your binoculars
    I feel like the Vipers are pretty good. They’re not perfectly clear edge to edge but it doesn’t make sense to get another 10x42