Thread: getting a new dog on birds

getting a new dog on birds

hi all,

i have started training a new pup this year and am anxious to get out there in September for some upland hunting. Pup was born July 2, 2023 and have had her in the duck blind this season. she is steady to the shot and we have been solidifying her retrieve. forced fetch has started. I am based in the lower mainland and am looking for dog training friends. I have access to a couple sections of land to plant birds on this spring and summer in Pitt Meadows and would love to train and experience watching dogs do their work. let me know if this is of interest to any other bird doggers.

I've been lurking in the shadows for years and have not posted too much.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: getting a new dog on birds

Hunt her with a trained dog, the light bulb will go on if she has a nose
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

For upland hunting retrieving should be a fairly low priority IMO. The most important things are range/handling and using nose/bird finding. At the end of the day the more ground your dog covers the more birds he will find!

There’s a few dedicated upland hunters in the lower mainland. Leverage the community and get as much advice as you can. As my training mentor told me - the best way to fix a mistake with your dog is not make it in the first place!

What type of dog is it?

I have a Small Munsterlander - 4y old now, and I spent some cash and had him down to a trainer outside of Grand Forks (Republic Washington) for a month. They have an amazing set up - Baxter’s Bird Dogs. Can’t speak highly enough about them. I had another trainer give him a month of retriever training and now he does it all. Very good pointing and he’s a knock out in the duck blind. Something to consider!

I second this. I know these folks and they're good peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post

PM sent today.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!