Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Marshall's progress

Re: Marshall's progress

Well with my work load I never did get the chance to run Marshall in any hunt test this summer, but the training we did get done will come in handy this fall.

I've had him out for grouse 3 times so far and he's clued in pretty good about flushing and retrieving them. He's retrieved a half dozen or so grouse so far and gets better every time we head out.

Marshall turned 2 years of age on the 16th of Sept, we'll be getting his clearances checked and possibly putting him up for stud in the near future depending on the results of his test. From what I can see everything is looking good but until the test are done we won't know for certain.

Here are a few pictures of Marshall so far this fall hunting grouse.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Looks great! Any tips on how you got him used to the sound of the gun?

Would like to take my chocolate lab out with me this weekend for grouse hunting, but don't want to see him run in the other direction when I shoot! We live near City Hall in Vancouver, so not much opportunity to practice with a starter pistol.

Good news is that living downtown means that screeching brakes, bus noises, car horns and assorted bangs and clashes don't bother him in the least. Maybe a gun won't either? Thanks!

have your partner go along way down a road while you hold your dog on leash. When you are ready have him shoot. while you wach your dog.
    if all goes well have your partner close the distance by some repeat process. do not push your dog if he doesnt like it. But i have never had that problem. This is how i have trained my dogs and have learned it from my family.

x2 on 835, or if you don't have a buddy thats avail for that go to your local R&G (when someone is using the range of course) and park 150yds or so away and watch the dog and walk closer to the range

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Nice to hear Marc, thanks for the pics Marshall sounds to be and looks to be a great hunting dog. Can't wait till I got the space and more importantly the time to have another hunting dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Thanks for the link Chessie's are such beautiful dogs...

Might as well toss this picture in here as well. This was from the heritage day hunt at the beginning of the month. He loves to hunt and is great around the kids.

We're headed out tomorrow for geese / ducks so hopefully some pictures and a story to follow as well.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Attached is my (wretched) puppy, Frank the Tank. Think I can turn him into a good birding dog?

He's pretty good about sniffing out rogue socks and bringin' em back...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frankaloooon.jpg