Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice

Re: Need advice

He just turned 12 weeks old today. Buster was house trained within 3 days of getting him, he sits, lays down, stays and comes when called, he seems to only need to be told "no" once and then he stays away from things - we know that his naughty stage will come but he is very receptive to positive reinforcement right now. He loves to play fetch and often returns his sock for another round.
    We want to know how to train him properly because he seems pretty smart and if something goes wrong it will obviously be our fault. We hunt large game but want to get into waterfowl down on the dykes. If anyone knows of someone we can talk to for advice on training and more info on duck hunting we would really appreciate it.
    If it's brown....it's down.

Thanks every one I think I will look for a lab pup just so I can start fresh.

Does the B.C. Gun Dog Club still have the area off the Alouette River on Dewdny Trunk Road? Contact one of the Retriever clubs for some training help. James Lamb Free has an excellent book on training.

If you want to get some serious training in check out www.conwaykennels.com just because its a lab dosen't mean it will pick up a bird. Force hold and force fetch are usually finished before the end of the first year. Pay $50 and have him evaluated by a pro if you are unsure of his potential. Is he registered? if so where does he come from and who is he by.

My only concern is a lot of times someone is giving a 6months to a year puppy away is because they didn't have a clue how to train it and is out of control. I'd definitely spend some time with the dog to see what he's like.

I made the mistake of jumping on a free chocolate lab that when we arrived to pick it up it had a muzzle on the dog. Yes a muzzle. I though hmm I should be able to turn her around. About 2 months later I had to have the dog destroyed because the young guy who used to feed and walk my dogs after school got bitten by her. Nobody but me and my wife could get close to her without her lunging and trying to bite. If you don't socialize your dog as a pup with other people and other dogs while it's young you're going to run into serious problems later down the road.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF