Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I want to get a bird dog that is good with kids.I have been offered a golden lab male 1year old but is his age going to make him harder to train then a pup.What breeds can you recomend?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need advice

I could realy use some info on this because this would be my first dog.I don't want to get a dog I will regret.

Years ago I got a 1.5 yr old male lab, and he turned into a great hunting dog and was excellent with kids. The upside of a 1 year old dog is that you get a glimpse of what he'll be like later, now. If he knows his basic obedience ( come, heel, sit, stay ), likes to retrieve, and likes the water, he may grow up to be a good, one with the right training.

Tough going wrong with a lab. Depends on what kind of birds you're hunting (upland/waterfowl).

Hunted over my buddies GSP in Alberta and that thing was phenomenal, runs long and locks up well. My lab couldn't keep pace but still managed to sniff out her fair share of birds. She also figured out when the GSPs collar sounded the dog was locked on a bird - as a flusher sometimes she's too smart for her own good.

As far as kids go you won't find much better than a lab imo.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

We live in Maple Ridge and just got a black lab puppy and hope that he will be a good retriever for duck hunting. Does anyone know of any groups for dogs and duck hunters in my area? We want to train him properly.
    Thanks
    If it's brown....it's down.

What will be your main use for this dog, waterfowl, upland?
    Is the dog "birdie"?
    Does it retrieve?
    Has it any basic obedience training?

Not that difficult to train a dog of that age, unless it already has some problems. You could spend more time training not to do than training to do.

Labradors are usually very good people dogs. If you find a dog that likes to please it's master , you will enjoy many years of companionship and a great hunting partner. Good luck.

if you were offered that dog, i would pick it up, i had black labs, we also had golden retreivers in the family, very good dogs. As i do not duck hunt, i have two german shorthairs, they are fine with the kids and are birdie, one of them trees bears, she is bear wise, i also choose females they are smaller and dont lift there leg and pee on plants, at 1 1/2 years that dog is easily trainable. Just get your dog checked out by a vet, its very sad down the road when they get sick and have medical problems.

i have a golden retriever she has never been trained to be anything other then a family pet.She is super protective of the kids and wife.I'm convinced that a intruder or somebody trying to grab the kids would not stand much of a chance.I'm also convinced that if she had been trained to be a hunting dog from the time she was a pup, that she would have been real birdie.She stalks crows in the yard like she was a cat.She is also real gentle my 3 year old can lead her around by her ears and she just goes were he does, not a care in the world.Oh and she really hates skunks has been sprayed twice chasing them out of her yard.Not a pleasant smell.
    Last edited by bsa30-06; 12-16-2007 at 03:13 PM.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

I would suggest spending a couple of days with the dog if that is possible. You'll get a good idea of what he is like as far as energy, socialization, temperament.

A puppy is nice because you get to train him the way you want from the start. But they are a lot of work and can be a very demanding on your time. If this is your first dog, you might be better off with one that has some work put into him already. Only way to know, is to spend some time with the dog. You can certainly bond with a 1 year old dog.

Even though I am partial to griffs, I agree that it's hard to go wrong with a lab for a family dog and part time hunting companion.

And not to be a stickler, but if you are going to own a lab you should know. There are no "golden labs", just yellow, black and chocolate.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

MAKE SURE he's not gun shy!!!