Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat Advice

Mountain Goat Advice

Hey Guys!

Already dreaming about next Season, after getting my Mule Deer and WT this year I really want to see what Goat Hunting is all about!

That said, I don't know much about it, trying to soak up as much as possible, reading books, joining Webinars etc. One thing that is not described in any books though is how to settle on an area/where to go?

I'm in Region 4, so there are lots of draw units all around me, but how to settle on what unit to apply for? Scouting is out of the Question before I have to put in for a Tag and I don't have a Mentor or anyone who could give me some pointers..

Most of the Mountains here have "Goat Terrain", is it safe to say that I'm likely to find Goats pretty much in any Unit? Just look what Unit is accessible best for me? Or are they really concentrated in some Areas and it would be best to try and ask local biologists?

Are there any key features that you could look for when E-Scouting? Or you just look at Cliffs with some kind of green throughout?

Would love to hear how you guys go about it!

Thanks, Gianni

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Goat Advice

There's definitely lots of goats down in region 4 ,goats like steeper nasty stuff compared to rams ect. I like to hunt goats up here in 7b,7a and have been looking at 6. Iv been looking for more guys to hunt goats with exp since iv had a few flake out last year due to not being fit enuff to make it up the mountain. Or other reasons ect.
    Send me a pm if your interested in yearly goat hunting and that gose for anyone. I'm down for fly in goats river boat goats or hike in ect.

I highly recommend the webinars put up by the goat alliance and Spikecamp, some great information shared in those.

sorry I’m of no help on region 4, biggest thing is just getting out there with some glass. Watch for broken up cliff areas, braided cliff / tree areas. Often big ol billys will be wayyy up in no man’s land, but they do move, so keep a watch out for when they do.

If you happen to be on the IG, I have a pile of goat content on there (even more to share yet), happy to help with the billy vs nanny stuff if you’re looking to learn. I use to put up a lot of quizzes, but have been slacking off…. I’ll get back into it though. It’s easy for me to share photos/videos on IG, I can load you up with a pile for quizzing if you’re interested.

cheers!

It's easier to climb a cliff than it is to go back down.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Bugaboos is the first place I hunted in Reg 4 when I moved to BC. It was still GOS at the time so was an easy place to start.

Its a drew now in 4-34 but still worth looking at for some pretty decent starting points to goat hunting with easier odds to draw and quite a few places you can glass goats from the truck and then hike up.

What part or region 4 are you in and looking at to apply, some units are defiantly better then others.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    I highly recommend the webinars put up by the goat alliance and Spikecamp, some great information shared in those.

sorry I’m of no help on region 4, biggest thing is just getting out there with some glass. Watch for broken up cliff areas, braided cliff / tree areas. Often big ol billys will be wayyy up in no man’s land, but they do move, so keep a watch out for when they do.

If you happen to be on the IG, I have a pile of goat content on there (even more to share yet), happy to help with the billy vs nanny stuff if you’re looking to learn. I use to put up a lot of quizzes, but have been slacking off…. I’ll get back into it though. It’s easy for me to share photos/videos on IG, I can load you up with a pile for quizzing if you’re interested.

cheers!
    I've actually joined all the Webinars on Spikecamp, and also was able to ask a couple questions and absolutely loved it! I'll check out the IG for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    It's easier to climb a cliff than it is to go back down.
    LOL I figured that one out already last year, but I appreciate the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Bugaboos is the first place I hunted in Reg 4 when I moved to BC. It was still GOS at the time so was an easy place to start.

Its a drew now in 4-34 but still worth looking at for some pretty decent starting points to goat hunting with easier odds to draw and quite a few places you can glass goats from the truck and then hike up.
    I'll send you a PM if you don't mind!

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    What part or region 4 are you in and looking at to apply, some units are defiantly better then others.
    It's down to 4-34 or 4-25 right now. Is there a way to compare the draw odds between them?

The Bugaboos, so 4-34 are basically my Backyard, takes me only 45min to be right back by the lodge.
    4-25 is 1-2 hours away, depending on where I want to go, but I have a better Idea about where to look since I've seen a fair amount of tracks when hiking in there, as well as pointers from an ex-guide out of that region.

I lean more toward 4-34 just because I will have more chances to scout the Area in the summer, but have no particular Spot to go to, so I guess I'll try my hand at e-scouting and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni2507 View Post
    I'll send you a PM if you don't mind!

It's down to 4-34 or 4-25 right now. Is there a way to compare the draw odds between them?

The Bugaboos, so 4-34 are basically my Backyard, takes me only 45min to be right back by the lodge.
    4-25 is 1-2 hours away, depending on where I want to go, but I have a better Idea about where to look since I've seen a fair amount of tracks when hiking in there, as well as pointers from an ex-guide out of that region.

I lean more toward 4-34 just because I will have more chances to scout the Area in the summer, but have no particular Spot to go to, so I guess I'll try my hand at e-scouting and hope for the best!
    Hunted goats in both, if your that close you should look at 4-35, numbers are down in most units but still opportunity in all depending on what your looking for and time of year you want to hunt.