Thread: Duck hunting in the snow

Duck hunting in the snow

I was just curious if ducks still hit the farm fields as much when there is 11 inches of snow or do they stay out in the open water? Want to get out this weekend and just wondering where I would be more productive.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Duck hunting in the snow

In our area,open water is where you want to be when fields are snow covered and/or field puddles froze.

Hunting open salt water marshes are awesome on days like today.

Or still flowing Creeks or ditches.

I scouted around yesterday and today. There were mallards and Widgeon in a couple of fields I have permission to hunt.
    Last year I saw the same thing and I have to admit, I wouldn't have went out to look last year but my farmer called and asked us to get out there!
    Ducks gather tight like in the pic I took today and burrow into grass to feed (I assume on the grass). The fields are near open water, if they were to freeze, the ducks wouldn't be in our area......
    Bonus is you can put floater decoys on the snow.

Last edited by Dano; 01-19-2024 at 12:50 AM.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

On Sunday I went out to Boundary and saw all the ducks were clustered in the 'sanctuary' pond and the bay was frozen over as far as one could see. I turned around and went home. If that pond was open to hunting the question would have been how to shoot without getting over limit