Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for Digiscoping

Options for Digiscoping

Hi, wondering if anyone can offer some advice or explain what has worked for them. I have had problems with the following set-ups and looking for something that gets my spotter hooked up to my phone (or another device i would buy if necessary) quickly and with no or little adjustment. I originally tried the adapters for an older go pro, but that seemed challenging to get the focus right. There was no phone scope option for the iphone se with my case, and i was going on a trip with a friend and wanted versatility. Ended up with a universal phonescope mount, but the universal adapter is a bit heavy, and even tightened right up doesn't return to zero. The autofocus on the phone and zoom feature do let you do a decent job once you are set up. Seeing as how i had retired my old go pro and not replaced it, i was a little lacking in the image quality with just the iPhone SE. So i upgraded to the 14promax. Mainly for the camera. Fantastic pictures and videos… it is in an otter box case right now, a symmetry case i picked up for 10$ at London Drugs. So… any suggestions? I have a sheep trip and a separate fly-in trip in the works for this year and want to do a better job with my wildlife photography. Weight is a consideration here.

I have:

swaro ats 65 20-60
    iphone se
    iphone 14pro max
    phonescope universal phone holder w/ adapter for the swaro

Thanks for any ideas

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Options for Digiscoping

I got the Magview adapter for Christmas and it's pretty slick. Has a thin magnetic plate that sticks to the back of whatever phone or case you want, then you just turn on your camera and center the lens on you spotter. Pretty quick and easy to get the phone connected, and may only need a slight adjustment to center the lens once in place.

Thx, i will check that out

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my phone to something with optical zoom. Looking at the Phonescope site, they seem to have a case and adapter for everything. Looks like if I got a phone with 4x optical zoom (to maintain image quality vs digital) I could turn my 10x binoculars into 40x pretty easily.

Long way of saying Phonescope probably has what you need.

I’ve been really happy with my ScopeCam. I have an IPhone SE that I use with my SLC binos and my 65mm ATX spotter.
    It takes all kinds to make the world go round

I have the phonescope use it with iPhone 11 Pro Max and Pentax spotter takes good photos . If you keep the phone in the phonescope holder it sets up pretty fast for photos .
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Thanks for the feedback

Hey Grantk, I am wondering where you purchased the Magview adapter? Thanks,Trevor

I recently ordered the phone skope case and adapter. Should have it any day now, excited to see how it works!

I got a Scopecam for Christmas, it's a nice quality piece of kit but doesn't work with my Athlon. Let me know if someone is interested.