Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Semi or pump?

Re: Semi or pump?

I have 2 older 12 gauge pumps an Ithaca and a Winchester . One fairly new Remington Police 870 12 gauge as a defensive shotgun . I’m no expert on shotguns but I have seen on YouTube that the new 12 gauge RemArms 870 pumps are well made . I’m not sure about the new RemArms 870’s but with the older Remington 870’s the week link was the extractor apparently , this could be fixed with an aftermarket extractor , Volquartsen comes to mind .
    Mossbergs get good reviews as well . As always check the date of the review .
    As mentioned heard many good reviews of the. Browning BPS 12 gauge .
    I am considering a 20 gauge Browning but not for waterfowl
    Just my 2 cents .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 01-08-2024 at 01:36 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Winchester SX3 or SX4. Fantastic shotguns for a semi. Comfy, good balance, easy to swing, lighter recoil for a 12g

Never had an issue with ejection and reload. Any size, any weight, cycles perfect

Bet you can't have just one haha. Compared to most hunting rifles, shotties are a bargain. So is 12 ga. ammo. I've only ever owned semis, started with a new gas operated SKB way back in the mid 1980's. Never an issue with jamming, cycles reliably. Over the past few years I've become enamored with vintage Browning A5's, recoil operated semis. One of the most popular guns back in the day. Plenty available on the used market. The only downside with them is you don't want to put steel shot thru them. Other non-toxic loads like bismuth can be used but it's expensive & hard to find. For upland game, clay busting, slugs & buckshot they're fine since lead shot may still be used for anything but waterfowl. Mine are 12 ga. & I've been loading my own slugs. I have some bismuth shot coming in the mail so I'll load my own for waterfowl too. I've bagged ducks & geese with my full choke A5 for a couple seasons using steel shot but don't want to push my luck even though these guns are tanks. Made in Belgium by FN.

Shotguns have got to be one of the most versatile hunting tools for short to medium range out there. I've been thinking I'd like a 20 gauge but have found the 12 can be loaded up with such a variety from very light to kick ass heavy that there's really no need.

I used an early '50's Wingmaster pump for 30 years and it did me well. Had a firing pin issue and borrowed a friends semi, I bought a semi within weeks of using one and won't be going back to a pump as my hunting gun!
    I use an old style Browning Auto 5 where the barrel moves when fired but have recently used a Browning Maxus II Sporting and the BrowningA5. Both worked well for me and I recommend either.
    If you are near a club, get out and meet people and most will let you try a gun you're thinking of getting.
    I'm at Pitt Meadows gunclub, PM me if you are in the area and I can arrange a few guns for you to try.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Thanks for the feedback guys I think I will grab this pump thats available, because like Mike said it probably won't be my last one haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    I used an early '50's Wingmaster pump for 30 years and it did me well. Had a firing pin issue and borrowed a friends semi, I bought a semi within weeks of using one and won't be going back to a pump as my hunting gun!
    I use an old style Browning Auto 5 where the barrel moves when fired but have recently used a Browning Maxus II Sporting and the BrowningA5. Both worked well for me and I recommend either.
    If you are near a club, get out and meet people and most will let you try a gun you're thinking of getting.
    I'm at Pitt Meadows gunclub, PM me if you are in the area and I can arrange a few guns for you to try.
    I am just over in Maple Ridge, I think I will take you up on that offer soon thank you!

Love my Mossberg Maverick 88,super easy to strip/clean,fits great,camo painted myself,and very reasonably priced from Reliable (got the 18.5in and the 28in with removable choke)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6124.jpg  

Aside from type of action, that is pump or semi it's also worth mentioning chokes. For versatility a gun with a selection of chokes vs fixed is definitely a factor. For most water fowling a full choke works fine & my A5 fits the bill nicely. My 1st personal firearm was an SKB shotgun with externally threaded barrel & assortment of chokes. Also a semi but gas operated. Always cycled reliably, I put a lot of rounds thru it at the skeet range. Downside vs the A5 is cleaning. The gas ports carbon up & are fiddly to clean, the A5 just needs barrel cleaning & the occasional light application of oil on the friction ring.

The Browning brothers..... top full choke, bottom one I had a faulty aftermarket variable choke cut off. It's my slug gun.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-10-2024 at 07:01 PM.

I shoot a lot of shotgun ammo in a year. My 12 ga Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting gun has had almost zero issues in the 3 yrs and likely 10,000 rounds fired. Most were reloads with steel hulled case heads. I probably clean the gas system every 1200 rounds and it likely would go double that trouble free. It’s a heck of a lot more reliable than any of my old Winchester pump Model 12’s that I really like!

Quote Originally Posted by 30-30 Backpacker View Post
    Love my Mossberg Maverick 88,super easy to strip/clean,fits great,camo painted myself,and very reasonably priced from Reliable (got the 18.5in and the 28in with removable choke)
    Can't beat the 88 for a super cost effective trouble free shotgun.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA