Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Semi or pump?

Semi or pump?

Want to start waterfowling, and more upland birds too what would you recommend for a starter a pump, or just go with a semi? And what guage?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Semi or pump?

12 gauge, most common and ammo is most readily available.

Semi/pump, personal choice. I like my Browning BPS

12g all the way it’s like the Swiss Army knife of shotguns. I also love my browning BPS, just a really smooth beautiful gun

I only have a defender for work and bow hunting. I say pump. Have seen a jamming problems with semi autos. Usually due to a lack of maintenance and or fowl weather.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

New this year too

I have a pump which I like. O/U because I like them too and a old SXS which kicks hard, I like them all.

It's a shame pumps are the poor step sister to the semi-autos now. The recoil operated semi-auto with the loads they like are famous for reliability in the Argentina dove hunts. Gas operated semi-autos have come along ways for reliability. With gas guns the recoil is spread over a longer period of time, so feels reduced. A sharp hit and a push may be the same energy levels, but they feel very different.

Use the Google for reviews on different brands. It can be hard to track because Turkish made shotguns like Winchester, Weatherby, Tristar and CZ go by the importers' names instead of the manufacturers' names.

No matter how good you are with pump, a semi will be quicker on the second shot.

I used to carry a pump at work then after using my beretta semi for a long time with zero malfunctions I purchased a beretta 1301 tactical to carry at work. I really don’t feel at a safety disadvantage with my beretta.
    If I was starting over again I’d just go strait to semi for a hunting gun and for a defensive gun
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Some CZ shotguns are stamped akkar , you can get the exact same gun for half the price without the cz name

Another vote for the browning BPS. Mine is 14 years old and still going strong, despite frequent use in the salt marshes.

Semi-auto shotguns are nice to have, but I haven’t felt better off with my wife’s semi-auto the few times I’ve used it.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Tristar Viper G2 s are made by Armsan. So I found an Armsan 612W and got very good deal on one. It paid to do the research. I'm pleased with it. I was left a Winchester 1400, even I lost patience with it. And my stubbornness is legendary.