Thread: One Last Try

One Last Try

With being sick over Christmas and during my time off didn’t get chance to go out for a while, so with new years closing in I decided to give Boundary Bay one last try. Had a afternoon free and tides seemed to work so packed up my gear and out I went. I would be hunting the 2nd high tide so I would be able to stay out during the tide swing.

Got there just before lunch and was doing a pre scout to see where the other hunters were, so I could pick a spot. Talked to one other hunter who had been there all morning and just saw some highfliers. So, I got a spot picked out, packed up the sled and headed out.

Having checked the weather forecast I was hoping the forecasted front would push some birds in but as the day played out that would never happen. Got my floaters out and set up my mojo flapper hunkered down behind a log and waited and waited. Not much was flying around that day the odd few flew by but cruising way to high and my calling was falling on deaf ducks, or they were more interested in the 100 or so more friends way out in the chuck. Had a few fly over a little lower hunkered down and called, they flew past behind me and I could tell where they went as I peaked around the log I saw one had peeled off from the rest and was paralleling the shore, started calling again it turned and locked it’s wings and started coming in to the dekes straight to the mojo. With the duck at about 50 yrds I put the call down and picked up the gun waited till it was about 2ft above the water and 30 yrds out and released the tightly packed wad of # 3 steel shots, they found the target and the duck dropped at the edge of the dekes. Went out and retrieved a nice Pintail. The rest of the afternoon was even quieter with a few highfliers and the odd bunch flying around out of range. With it getting late and close to ½ before end shooting time, I packed up and headed home, happy that I was able to get one on what is most likely the last trip.

Last edited by FishandSticks; 01-05-2024 at 03:43 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: One Last Try

This time of year the birds are well educated and harder to get in.
    Sounds like you took in the atmosphere, probably reflected on your season and enjoyed the afternoon. Thanks for sharing.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    This time of year the birds are well educated and harder to get in.
    Sounds like you took in the atmosphere, probably reflected on your season and enjoyed the afternoon. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes, seemed to have been slower the last few times, but still having a great time. Love being out there just as much as when fishing.

You can't shoot ducks if you're not out there. Glad you got one to take home some days are learning and thinking days. They are all good and different everytime you go out. I was hoping to get out tomorrow but with more snow in the forcast I'm unsure how much risk I want to take for one more day on the chuck.

Glad you got out and enjoyed yourself that's all that really matters.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

thanks for sharing, keeps the dreams alive
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC