Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They Buzzed the Tower - TWICE

They Buzzed the Tower - TWICE

Well headed out again this weekend this time I was set to try to get set -up and waiting before shooting time. Got up early around 4:30am, which wasn’t too hard and not really early as I get up around that time anyway for work. Packed up the gear in my trusty steed and headed out to Timmys, with my thermos filled I was all set. Got there still dark and plenty of time to get ready, shouldered all my stuff and deeks and started the hike out.

Had my blind set up and decoys in the water, with still 20 minutes before the official gunshot I sat down on a somewhat dry spot and had a coffee. While I was waiting, I hear a duck land 20 ft in front of me and commence to have a conversation with his newfound plastic friends. I sneak a look at time and my phone and it’s still 7 minutes to go, I ‘m hoping he will hang around…. Nope, flies away 2 minutes before time, I guess he got tired of being ignored.
    Pretty quiet for the next hour a couple of real high fliers but that it, another hour goes by and I see a couple coming by, call to them they circle around but fly behind me and I loose them, next thing I know they have landed of to the far left of my shooting area away from the decoys. I slowly turn, they are not more than 20yds from me, I raise the gun all set. I give a little hoot and rise up a bit for the shot, they don’t move? Just as I was going to yell again, a bunch I hadn’t seen as being transfixed on those two circled and start coming in locked, In a split second I decided I would try for the ones coming in and hopefully get a shot a the others after, probably not the best decision. I pivot around to line up and my movement flares them I let off two panicked shots a miss and the ducks are gone. Its amazing how quick they move, I turn back hoping to see the other two but they exited stage left but three others were coming in view either circled around or got spooked I got my last shot away and instantly dropped a widgeon. I go off to try to find where it came down and after 25 minutes of searching, I find it.

After I get back to the blind, I think wow nothing for a few hours and then they all come out of nowhere in 3 minutes. Not too much happened for the next hour or so as it was getting sunnier and the flyby’s were getting higher and deaf to my calling of lack of skill. A few minutes more and I think to myself I will call it quits when I see three more coming in fast I give a few calls they tilt a little towards me but still to high and fly over, I keep calling hoping maybe they will circle, they did! problem was they were teals, fast and close they buzzed right by me and before I could even raise my gun they were gone. I called again quicky and to my amazement they came around again but seemed even faster and lower, no way to get a shot away and instead of sticking the landing they just buzzed the tower again and were gone.

With that I decided to call it a day.
    Last edited by FishandSticks; 12-20-2023 at 08:09 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: They Buzzed the Tower - TWICE

haha that sounds so familiar .. great descriptions..

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    haha that sounds so familiar .. great descriptions..
    Thanks for reading. I can't believe how many different situations and how much I have seen already.

I have noticed that the Teal can come in real fast and and almost stop instantly upon landing, where as the bigger ducks seem to slow down more to land. I also read that they are not fastest duck but saying that they only seem to have one flying speed it is always 100% fast and more darty, maybe it has more to due it's size?

Haven't yet tried waterfowl hunting, I don't exactly live in a great area for it...but your story is well written and descriptive, makes me want to try it even more..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Haven't yet tried waterfowl hunting, I don't exactly live in a great area for it...but your story is well written and descriptive, makes me want to try it even more..
    I would try it if you can at least once if you ever have the chance.

If have any friends that go and can tag along and use there guns

I just went for my first duck trip this past Saturday and I had the absolute time of my life. Three rookies so we only shot 5 ducks but, oh my gosh, it was the most fun I have had in a long time. I’m fully addicted. Looking for my own decoys now. I thought I would have fun but it was EPONENTIALLY more fun than I thought it could be!
    Last edited by ekul246; 12-23-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    I just went for my first duck trip this past Saturday and I had the absolute time of my life. Three rookies so we only shot 5 ducks but, oh my gosh, it was the most fun I have had in a long time. I’m fully addicted. Looking for my own decoys now. Is thought I would have fun but it was EPONENTIALLY more fun than I thought it could be!
    Glad you guys had a great time.
    Fror me it's just a good time to get out. My last 2 trips have been slow for harvesting. Only brought 1 home and had 3 shots one day and no chances the next. I would kind of compare it to fishing for steelhead fishing which I also love( fish of a 1000 casts) .

Fishing with guns is an apt description

I love teal because of the way they bomb in like they are fighter jets. And as an extra bonus they are one of the tastiest ducks. This time last year I limited out one day with mostly teal and it was the highlight of my season.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Fishing with guns is an apt description

I love teal because of the way they bomb in like they are fighter jets. And as an extra bonus they are one of the tastiest ducks. This time last year I limited out one day with mostly teal and it was the highlight of my season.
    Yes, cool bird. They certainly come in crazy fast and at least one time this year, surprising me and seeming to materialize out of nowhere.

I have my first male GW teal getting mounted. Hope to get it in the new year.
    Last edited by FishandSticks; 12-21-2023 at 09:47 AM.

I have always been a hard core big game hunter but it didn't take me long to figure out that I enjoy waterfowl hunting even more! I find that there's a lot more camaraderie for one thing during the hunt. You can talk and joke around with your buddies in the blind as opposed to having to be more quiet than a mouse while sitting in a whitetail blind or walking/stalking animals when even the sound of a zipper is too loud. Of course, that's a big part of being successful when ungulate hunting out there but just the same it's nice to be able to enjoy a hunt with a couple of other guys together.

There's far more action, as well! Doubt I'll get much rebuttal that pulling the trigger is fun and there's definitely a whole lot more of that when hunting ducks. Likely because there's no shortage of waterfowl here for us on the coast. It's a very sustainable hunt. Plus, because it's local, you can get out more frequently. Since I'm retired it's easy for me to get out at least twice a week and be home before lunch. Tough to do half day hunts on big game hunts for us living on the coast

Without a doubt, one of the things I enjoy most is being out with a well trained dog. I own a versatile (griff) and get her out a lot in the fall on upland birds but because I waterfowl hunt so much more I've trained her much like you would a retriever,,,,multiple retrieves, handling commands for blind retrieves, retrieves on land or water, etc. Watching a dog do what they were born to do is something I can watch all day!

Versalites are also quite good at realizing that one thing is not like the other as depicted in the photo,,,,lol

Last edited by mastercaster; 12-21-2023 at 09:42 AM.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!