Thread: I did not have my MOJO

I did not have my MOJO

Had lots to do this weekend but I figured I could get out for a few hours to wave my stick around, the boomy one for both days, had invited a friend for one of the days but he was busy, which was ok as it gave me an excuse to come home early.

So off I went solo, grabbed all my gear and headed out to get there 45 min before sunrise. As I walked in more like trudging in like a pack mule loaded down, I spooked a few and I soon started hearing booming from some fellow hunters, I had hoped to be set up and waiting but took a little longer than anticipated to get ready. Set up my deeks and one Mojo and sat down, started calling and waited, a couple came in from behind and flared away that would happen a few times with me peppering the low clouds with tiny balls of steel. Thought I was doing a pretty good at calling after I got a widgeon to come in from my new whistle I got from online, splash one duck.

I had a few more come in but missed them too, I don’t yet have a remote for the mojo so it continued to whirl away for all the morning by itself, it seemed to slow down for me, so I repositioned the mojo and turned it back saw another bunch 15 + coming near, and started to blow the call they change direction and circle around in behind me, I peek around and all there wings are locked and coming in all of them!

They flare up as I lift my gun and let my shots go, I down one at about 25 yards. I had a few more misses and I decided I need to get back otherwise I wouldn’t get anything done, so I packed up for the day planning on going again on Sunday.

Sunday morning came around and decided I would take out my new Benelli to try it out, I know not the best place or way to try a new anything especially a gun. Anyways as I only had a few hours this day I left my Mojo home and just went with the deeks, I have read that it may scare them away some in the later end of the season, did I make a mistake? Got there the same time just and slogged out to get set up, as I did, I noticed that there didn’t seem as many ducks as Saturday. A few flew by and I called they just kept going, I figured they had someplace else to go set in their minds. A couple more flew by and few more calls turned one a bit but kept going, I almost got close but my gloves were real wet and they slipped when I went to pump as I hadn’t fired it before and wasn’t used to it, ugh. It seemed a little quieter today, and hardly anything came in to look for most of the morning. I turned a couple behind me at least I think I did, but I did not notice them until they got in my peripheral view, and they flared off. I did manage to get one to come close for a few shots but that was it for the morning.

As I was packing up I started to think my calling wasn’t doing anything and it was all my MOJO that was bringing them in. I will have to wait and see and do more experimenting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I did not have my MOJO

Had days where they drop in right beside the mojo. Also had days where birds were flaring until I ditched the mojo. I definitely don't believe the mojo is the answer to every situation. I now like to use mine on very dark or foggy days, first and last light. On still/sunny days I prefer a jerk rig.

In my area, I have seen a few days where mojos are everywhere. I can honestly say on those days, the shooting has not been good as I think the birds wise up fast, especially later in the season.

What really helped me wad scouting to see where the birds are going (on a given tide/weather).

That's where you want to be. Find these spots and you don't need big spreads, motion decoys, or even great calling. You just need to be there and be well concealed.

And being there well before first light sure doesn't hurt
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-11-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Set your mojo duck further back from you decoys. It works for me during late season. I usually have one mojo pole higher than my second pole and about 10 feet apart.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Had days where they drop in right beside the mojo. Also had days where birds were flaring until I ditched the mojo. I definitely don't believe the mojo is the answer to every situation. I now like to use mine on very dark or foggy days, first and last light. On still/sunny days I prefer a jerk rig.

In my area, I have seen a few days where mojos are everywhere. I can honestly say on those days, the shooting has not been good as I think the birds wise up fast, especially later in the season.

What really helped me wad scouting to see where the birds are going (on a given tide/weather).

That's where you want to be. Find these spots and you don't need big spreads, motion decoys, or even great calling. You just need to be there and be well concealed.

Yes, so far my spreads have been small around 5 + my mojo.

Yes have already seen some typ flight paths.

There is so much to read and learn, thank God for the internet, really helping me as a late starter, wish I had a least started 5 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
    Set your mojo duck further back from you decoys. It works for me during late season. I usually have one mojo pole higher than my second pole and about 10 feet apart.

Just have 1 mojo right now will be getting another, but I did move it during the hunt and a little away from the deeks. It was hard to tell if it helped but it didn't hurt anything. Have lots to lean and soak up in a little of time as possible due to the lack of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

X2 what he said, it's more important to be concealed and where the ducks want to be. Some days the best calling is no calling, I don't know how many times I've had birds dump right into the decoys without me even knowing they were there. I was concealed and not moving around. That in itself is more important than calling most times. The only time I hit the call is if they are flying away from the decoy spread or haven't noticed it yet. When the birds are coming in that's when I stop and let the decoys do the rest.

I only used my spinning duck decoy once this fall and it was the first day I was out hunting. After seeing how many others out there where using them I saw it as a deterrence rather then an attractant. Like Ron C mentioned the birds wise pretty quick. It's a preference thing I guess when it comes to spinning wing decoys. Some people swear by them and others swear at them lol. Did it affect my hunting negatively by not using a spinning wing decoy? Of the 8 solo outings I went out on without it I limited out on 4 of them in less then 3 hours so I'm going to say no.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF