Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt damage to guns - question

Salt damage to guns - question

For those who shoot new salt water

How do you guys midigate potential salt damage to your guns? Do you hose them down when you get home and then clean them or just clean them?

I have always had to wash/rinse boat/gear when fishing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Salt damage to guns - question

I keep my duck gun well oiled, but overall, I’m just careful about not getting salt water on it.

I also disassemble, wipe down, and re-oil the gun when I get home from the marsh.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Detailed cleaning after each hunt, lots of oil. I also keep an oiled rag in a big ziplock in my shell bag. Will wipe my gun down periodically on a hunt when it's really nasty out or my dog shakes beside me and soaks it.

I also think some coatings on some guns are better than others. I had a Remington 870 express that seemed to bloom in any wet weather. My Browning bps has held up very well and I hunt exclusively in Salt water

I upgraded to my current gun because the cerakoting looked better for the protection. However, it shares with my previous gun a lifter that magically rusts within an hour of touching salt water.

I keep a thin layer of oil on the working parts and remember to wipe it all down as soon as I get home. If you are using a case or a bag, do not leave your gun in it while it is still cold or damp as condensation can cause rust as well. I usually have my gun half zipped while on the road home and as soon as I get home take it out of the bag so if I am delayed in cleaning it, at least it has a chance to air dry.

Also - ask me how I know this - continually check the choke to make sure it isn't rusted in. Removing a stuck choke is a rite of passage that can be avoided if you keep the threads lubed. Sometimes I will be fiddling with the choke during the hunt to ensure it still can be unscrewed.

IF you ever have the bad luck to drop your gun in the salt water, do a field strip and shake as much out as possible and reapply an oil and function check. The oil rag tip is a good one - I should follow it myself. Do not allow any water to remain in the barrel as it can cause a constriction and you can bulge the barrel. I have bulged a barrel before and still unsure how I did it - could have been water. Then when you get home you can detail strip it and reapply lube. Another issue also can be the stock. If you have a rubber butt plate it can retain water. You may need to disassemble that to get it dry as well.

While I have showered with a gun before I think a full detail strip and relube will do the same unless you are in it for the kink.

I use hydraulic oil, cleans them up nice and prevents rusting.

Be sure to wipe off well

There are several gun designed products to help prevent rust... I have relied on G96 Gun Treatment for 50 years... before hunting and then after hunting - a good wipe down and reapplication.
    I am away April 27, 28, 29 and unable to respond to PM's
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

I oil the guns, then wax over the bluing and buff it, especially at the wood/metal interfaces.

I had a Remington 870 express that seemed to bloom in any wet weather.
    I washed it with brake cleaner and burned teflon into whatever coating Rem used at the time. Held up pretty good even after a few dunks.

Great tips guys, I like rag in bag idea. Good to see it's just cleaning it well.
    The winchester sxs really rusted when I got it home, especially the trigger and lift gate. I guess the cheaper models have less protection. Hopefully the benelli will be better, more coating on gate, camo cover and plastic,

I think if I dunked it in salt I would freak out. However it almost went in the mud yesterday.

I ordered so spray cleaner too.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I upgraded

Also - ask me how I know this - continually check the choke to make sure it isn't rusted in.

While I have showered with a gun before I think a full detail strip and relube will do the same unless you are in it for the kink.
    Yes already had rust around the choke. Also got some choke lube.

However the gun may have to shower by itself.