Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Duck Hunt- Almost Solo

First Duck Hunt- Almost Solo

Not a huge story, but I will share my first duck hunt.

Having amast all the gear I thought I might need through-out the year, while waiting for my PAL, I started looking to see where I could duck hunt with this nice FV map I was given at the store and I thought fish regs where confusing, I also think they had a special on RED printing ink when they made it.
    I got my PAL pretty late in Sept so off I go to get a cheapish Pump shotgun, I figured on a Whinchester 12 ga. SXS to start and headed off that weekend for some clay practice, did ok I thought, managed to shatter a few clays out of a box of shells.

I was concentrating on Deer for Oct and it wasn't until the end of Nov that I had any spare time, so I decided I would give it a try this year. If I could get a deer solo how hard could it be to get a duck. I figured I would try Boundary Bay, I had been out that way photoing birds alot, so I knew the area.I was going to go at it solo! Booked the Friday off and and picked up a duck call on thursday did a quick scout that morning, looked promising and figured where I would try. High tide was around 10 am so that would work for the morning, I started practicing calling on the way home in the car.

Friday morning came around earl and headed out got there a little later than I wanted but still 45 min befor Offical sunrise, Got my gear on and was just about to grab my stuff and head out just a car pulled up, a couple of hunters got out and asked where I was heading I pointed in the direction I was going and they said "OH" thats where we were going. They were talking to each other about trying to find a new spot when I suggested they were more then welcometo join me as It was my first time here and ou,t and I shouldn't be much of a threat

So we got all our gear and headed out together to roughly where I was going, They trew out the deeks and I added some of mine, and set up my blind. It rained on and off all morning making it crappy with having to wear glasses but I managed. There were lots of ducks passing and more than enough for all to shoot, the other hunter was calling them in great and pretty fast, I let a few shots off missed, another bunch and a few more empty shells into the salt. They had already got a couple when the next sqaudran came in for a landing to his call, popped up from the blind pulled the trigger and bang down he came, a female pintail I was pretty estatic, this went on for another hour and manged another, my second a juvy Pintail! A few more shots and another bird down, problem was I think we all shot the same one, this happened a couple of times but as they were helping me out aswell I sugested that they keep them as we had no idea who hit them. Just after about 9 ish the tide was coming in Hard, had no choice but we had to relocate was almost going to call it but we figured we try a little longer, move the deeks and found a floating log to rest on. We were past knee deep and tride to make ourselves look like logs, the wind had changed and the birds seemed to decrease and started coing accross with the wind managed to get another one a teal with one shot, that felt pretty good. With the tide a high and box of shells speant I called it quits for the day along with the 2 others.

Overall had a great day and a almost first solo hunt and brought home

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Duck Hunt- Almost Solo

congrats.

Waterfowling is allot of fun (and very addicting)

fantastic! I can feel the excitement. When the tide is coming in and conditions are right that is the way to go. And good on those other hunters for teaming up with you. More dekes the better.

Great write up. You’re on your way!
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    fantastic! I can feel the excitement. When the tide is coming in and conditions are right that is the way to go. And good on those other hunters for teaming up with you. More dekes the better.

Yes it was great!!, I am also glad they joined me, It was enjoyable shooting with them as well as all the free advise/experience I got from them. Made it a fantastic first experience for my self.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    congrats.

Waterfowling is allot of fun (and very addicting)
    Yes it was and is. I even went out and bought another gun for it, as I was using my wife's, well that's how I sold it to her.

She now has a almost new Whin SXS

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Great write up. You’re on your way!
    Cheers, thanks.

What new gun did you get?

Benelli super nova- pump. in Camo

Also have a Akkar O/U orcap 206

And a old SXS 47E

Yea those Super Novas are well respected.