Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best < $500 Rifle Scope

Re: Best < $500 Rifle Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    When someone talks about how great the warranty is, understand that is not a good point. That is a warning. If he needed the warranty, the scope screwed up. It's only annoying at the range, on a hunt, the guy will swear off that brand, Forever. Never put a new scope on a new rifle , you won't know which one is at fault for those lousy groups. I've done that mistake, cost me a minor fortune in reloading components until I switched scopes . That Leupold , after repairs, came back OK. I try to have a spare working scope.

I'm fond of Bushnell, their 4000 series were tanks, and weighted like tanks,too. However, I picked up 1.5x6 used that came off a 375 H&H that I had to send in. But that is almost understandable.

Not always. For example, I went ass over tea kettle down a slope last year and dinged the turret on my Razor LHT.
    The scope bounced off rocks for a good tumble and is completely fine, save for the external marks - the turrets track fine and the glass shows no signs of issues. However, I have no doubt in my mind that I could send it to Vortex, and they’d send me a new scope, if something did go wrong.

Shit happens - Binoculars take tumbles and rifles fall. I’d rather have a brand that stands by their product, regardless of cause, than one that tells me to pound sand.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    When someone talks about how great the warranty is, understand that is not a good point. That is a warning. If he needed the warranty, the scope screwed up.
    I respectfully disagree. A good warranty shows a company stands behind it's products and should be a factor when purchasing expensive items. If I am stuck deciding between which of two basically identical items to purchase, the best warranty would sway me into that companys product.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Not always. For example, I went ass over tea kettle down a slope last year and dinged the turret on my Razor LHT.
    The scope bounced off rocks for a good tumble and is completely fine, save for the external marks - the turrets track fine and the glass shows no signs of issues. However, I have no doubt in my mind that I could send it to Vortex, and they’d send me a new scope, if something did go wrong.

Shit happens - Binoculars take tumbles and rifles fall. I’d rather have a brand that stands by their product, regardless of cause, than one that tells me to pound sand.
    All big brands stand behind their products. If their products fail because of their workmanship, they will fix it.

If you drop your binos down a side a mountain, well thats on you. Shit does happen. But, $ for $, your "shit happens" warranty proof glass will be less superior to something in the same price class without a no fault warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    I respectfully disagree. A good warranty shows a company stands behind it's products and should be a factor when purchasing expensive items. If I am stuck deciding between which of two basically identical items to purchase, the best warranty would sway me into that companys product.
    As Tommy boy once said:

Tommy:
    Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.

Ted:
    I'm listening.

Tommy:
    Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted:
    Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy:
    'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.

Ted:
    What's your point?

Tommy:
    The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.

Ted:
    But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

Tommy:
    Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me

I had a Bushnell Scopechief 3x9 on my canoe rifle. As luck have it, or more likely my canoeing skills, we dumped and the rifle bounced along the bottom on it's lanyard. The rifle a P-17 BSA sporter did fine, it's a trooper, but the scope crosshairs were laying in the bottom of the tube. I had another scope. Rifles are pretty reliable, but you can't say the same about scopes. Next time I'll remember targets. Bushnell sent me another scope , a 4x . Of roughly the same vintage, and a better scope.

When Leupold went from VariX II to VX2 we thought great, the 2x7 was about the same as the VX-3 2.5x8 at a good deal less. Click stops, just less coating. We had an "in", so we went together an bought some at very good price. I got only one, but my buddy got three. He shoots more than me, he found that after two boxes of bullets (a 100 shots) they would go for a chit. He sent them off then sold them. I would assume Leupold corrected the problem.

Cheap scopes like the VX2 are designed for the weekend warrior, a box of shells every couple of years.

Scope coating are light years ahead , now. And the CNC ground glass is better ,too. The 30mm tubes allow more room for the mechanism.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 11-30-2023 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added information

I've got a Nikon I really like. And I put a Leupold on my BLR and it's a nice scope so far too. I got a Vortex mounted but haven't shot with it yet.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I have a burris fullfield e1 which I believe was around $500. For the price range it's a pretty nice scope and I would recommend it.
    I might have to try one of these out. Looks like Stoeger has them on sale for $230 right now!

My Maven C-1 binos have been very good for their price point -- I would highly recommend their glass. However I don't have any experience withtheir scopes.

I have a Bushnell 4500 2.5-10x40mm. It’s an excellent scope. I think I bought mine for under $400
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

The Bushnell 4000 series is the old Bauch & Lamb Balvar. They are built like tanks and weigh like tanks, too. I have some. Nippon light and Optic made good scopes.