Thread: Alberta Hunting Information (Birds)

Alberta Hunting Information (Birds)

Will have to travel to Alberta quite a few times next year, and started looking into hunting there as a BC resident. It is my understanding you need either a guide or local person to accompany you, so I am SOL for big game species.

How is the upland bird and/or waterfowl hunting there? Does anyone have experience and can comment on if it is worth looking into it and potentially bring the dog along?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta Hunting Information (Birds)

I believe the bird hunting is excellent here. You can check online for locations on the pheasant release sites, lots of grouse , Hungarian partridge. Come late September October after the crops are cut the amount of geese and ducks that stop by on their migration south is amazing. I’m in grande prairie area.

Here you go.

There is no requirement for non-resident (Canadian) and non-resident alien game bird hunters to contract their*game bird*hunts through a Bird Game Outfitter. They may hunt game birds without an outfitter, a guide or Hunter Host

Had a pretty good crop of ruffies this year in the gp area. Goose hunting can be good if you know what you're doing or know someone that does. We get canadas and various ducks here in the NW corner but to truly experience a good goose hunt go east of Edmonton and get in on a snow goose hunt. There is some website that will show you when and where they release pheasants at different locations in Alberta. When I was down south it seemed there was no shortage of Hungarian partridge. I think a guy can also shoot sharptails there to.

To get in on a goosehunt a guy might have to tour around and find out where the locals are setting up and plead poverty and they might let you join. Never know until you ask.

What area are you planing on being in?

Thanks for the info... I'll be in the Edmonton area as well as Drumheller and Lethbridge, but can plan for a week or so to travel if need be. Personally, I would love to take the dog out for a week of fun upland hunting, and prioritize that over waterfowl. Seems easier to arrange as well logistically

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Thanks for the info... I'll be in the Edmonton area as well as Drumheller and Lethbridge, but can plan for a week or so to travel if need be. Personally, I would love to take the dog out for a week of fun upland hunting, and prioritize that over waterfowl. Seems easier to arrange as well logistically
    well I am in Alberta but not a big bird hunter. Around Edmonton you are looking at waterfowl or grouse with the exception of some pheasant release sites(open to public no fee outside of pheasant license).

drum and Lethbridge areas are better for pheasants, Huns, and sharptail. Waterfowl is better too.

Check out the release sites they are scattered across Alberta

personally I am mostly big game and a little waterfowl so the information I can give on birds is limited

Still aprreciated will find and check out those sites you mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    well I am in Alberta but not a big bird hunter. Around Edmonton you are looking at waterfowl or grouse with the exception of some pheasant release sites(open to public no fee outside of pheasant license).

drum and Lethbridge areas are better for pheasants, Huns, and sharptail. Waterfowl is better too.

Check out the release sites they are scattered across Alberta

personally I am mostly big game and a little waterfowl so the information I can give on birds is limited
    They used to release pheasants on the jackpine grazing lease. It's about 45 miles west of Edmonton. Lots of crown land west of Edmonton as well down around the Cynthia/Lodge pole area for grouse. Might want to check out pheasant days or whatever it's called in Taber. On the alberta outdoors forum there's a fella named Catnthehat. Very knowledgeable fella about bird hunting.