Thread: Made these guys day!

Made these guys day!

It's been a banner season so far for our Pittwaterfowlers group. Lots of birds around and our friends have done very well.
    First up:

Made these boys day.

They hunt a field adjacent to ours, it’s a crappy location, blueberry field with a slough along the edge. There’s a Cranberry field across the slough and the owner doesn’t want them shooting over it.

Our field was hot, we were focusing on mallards and mostly greenheads when we saw some high flying geese coming. The boys skybusted at them and one lost altitude and came our way. My buddy Chris anchored it and said he would go give it to the guys that hit it as it may have hit within our back field (approx 300yds).

I suggested my buddy invite them over seeing as we had hundreds of Widgeon decoying great and we’re passing on them. (I also suggested a "Sucker" band for the goose but after much laughter we decided not to!).

Turns out it was their first goose! These 2 came over very excited and first bird in drops at the shot, “my first duck!” We all laughed, his buddy had shot a few but it was this fellows first bird.

They shot pretty good but ran out of ammo, we have plenty of Kent with us as we are Ambassadours for Kent Cartridge Canada but they shot 2 3/4”. We let them use our guns and ammo to get their first limits of 8 birds each! They were also presented patches declaring them members of the Shoot and Release club because of their misses. A good laugh from everyone!

It was also our buddy Chips last hunt with us, we finished our last 4 birds to limit and headed in.

Great memory of Chips last hunt with us before he move back to Ontario…

Last edited by Dano; 11-26-2023 at 07:09 AM.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Made these guys day!

That’s the way it’s supposed to be , hunters helping out fellow hunters.
    good on ya , I’m sure they will never forget your generosity and another couple hunters telling the story of the guys that helped them out , around the campfire for years to come.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Very good of you Dano to invite the young fellas over ! I did a bit of duck hunting when I was younger my buddy was the one with the dog and I don’t have one so I think that limits you to where you can hunt birds . Also my shotguns are old school 12 gauge Ithaca and Winchester so I can’t shoot steel through them .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thumbs up Re: Made these guys day!

Awesome!
    Extremely nice of you and your Buddies!
    Those youngsters will never forget your generosity!

Excellent Ambassadors for our sport!

Cheers & Many Thanks!
    Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

That is awesome thanks for sharing

I could have qualified for one of those badges last week! ��.

That was great Dano, thank for helping them out and maybe the will learn to not sky bust anymore. A lot of new hunters just don’t know how to judge range and just shoot at just about anything and finding out what they’ve got once it hits the ground and even then they struggle to identify.

I try and mentor and educate as much as I can especially with identification before it becomes part of the daily limit.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Guys need to get to a range and shoot more. Learn distance and what they are capable of hitting.
    At $1.50-$2 a shot I think going to a range would pay off in a hurry.
    As part of a course my buddy Chris and I did last sept, we stressed being a competent shot as a major factor of success. A number of the attendees came down to my club and had a noticeable improvement after some instruction.
    Bird ID on the wing trumps “Ground” ID every time. Mentoring helps but guys have to get out and really study birds during flight.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Very sporting of you to let them join you !! kudos