Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid hunting partners

Re: Solid hunting partners

I hear 2 can keep a secret if one is dead….. lol.
    It can be tough to find a good partner. It’s best to be comfortable hunting solo most of the time and teach yourself through hands on experience. Everyday you get skunked is another day you learn to do things different. It gets easier and easier every day after.
    I have a few good hunting partners and now my sons too. I am a self taught hunter also, figured it all out through research, and the school of hard knocks. I enjoy hunting with my friends and sons but I enjoy just as much to be solo. I make everyday in the woods a great day by being open to learning something new and just being greatful I have 2 strong legs, a back to match and a stubborn never quit attitude. One nice thing about hunting alone is you can be fluid all day long. If you are gonna focus on moose or elk having a hunting buddy is wonderful, big bulls are an ass load of work.
    We always split the meat. Sometimes I got a whole elk or moose in the freezer that is from 1/2 of 2 different bulls.

If you end up with a great producing spot you need to limit who you share that with or it will be exploited, someone always lets it slip even if they know not to take anyone there. And for heaven’s sake tell them to turn off the GPS on their photos…..
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

2 of my best friends I met on this hunting site! My other hunting partner I made with my wife, my son!! I’m not into hunting solo much anymore! My priorities for hunting outcomes has changed over the last few years! I’ve killed my fair share of game in the last 30 yrs, and for me hunting is about the outdoor experience now! I get crazy adrenaline rushes out of elk bugles, moose grunts, and chickadees chirping away!! I like to share those experiences now, especially with folks who haven’t had outdoor experiences! If I show someone a spot, it’s fair game for them to hunt it. I will not tell anyone if I have a spot I like, or want to hunt myself. There is lots of real state out there, my spots, are someone else’s as well! Anyways, I help folks with info on LEH hunts, or hunts for their kids, or local knowledge of my areas they may not be familiar with! I usually get a report back from folks I help out, dead game, or not! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Hunters and fishers are pretty possessive about what they know and have experienced, sharing is tough
    Best way to mesh with someone new is to work together on a new adventure, something of common interest, hunting or otherwise,
    often simple things like building shed or getting a load of firewood or fixing a vehicle is enough to sort out compatability
    A good hunting partner should be welcome into your home and be comfortable with in general life
    Sharing control and complete communication are probably the two toughest fences to get over, next to trusting them with your significant other (wife, horse, dog.....)
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I’m now a solo hunting absolutist. It’s relaxing, mind rinsing, and energy recharging. No more indifferent interests to balance. Yes, it can be more expensive as no one is sharing the cost. But I work, and I always work hard to make up the costs difference
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

I think the Pub Nights that used to happen here in the LowerMainland could be a good place to suss out hunting partners for new and older hunters alike .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I fit somewhere in the middle of the below posts
    (also applies to fishing holes)

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    I hear 2 can keep a secret if one is dead….. lol.
    It can be tough to find a good partner. It’s best to be comfortable hunting solo most of the time and teach yourself through hands on experience. Everyday you get skunked is another day you learn to do things different. It gets easier and easier every day after.
    I have a few good hunting partners and now my sons too. I am a self taught hunter also, figured it all out through research, and the school of hard knocks. I enjoy hunting with my friends and sons but I enjoy just as much to be solo. I make everyday in the woods a great day by being open to learning something new and just being graetful I have 2 strong legs, a back to match and a stubborn never quit attitude. One nice thing about hunting alone is you can be fluid all day long. If you are gonna focus on moose or elk having a hunting buddy is wonderful, big bulls are an ass load of work.
    We always split the meat. Sometimes I got a whole elk or moose in the freezer that is from 1/2 of 2 different bulls.

If you end up with a great producing spot you need to limit who you share that with or it will be exploited, someone always lets it slip even if they know not to take anyone there. And for heaven’s sake tell them to turn off the GPS on their photos…..
    Quote Originally Posted by elker View Post
    I’m now a solo hunting absolutist. It’s relaxing, mind rinsing, and energy recharging. No more indifferent interests to balance. Yes, it can be more expensive as no one is sharing the cost. But I work, and I always work hard to make up the costs difference

Still learning, this is my 3rd year hunting solo, self taught (learning through denial and error as Ricky would say), started with only a crossbow, added a shotgun and a few rifles to the mix but keep coming back to an interest in archery. just picked up the book “Precision Bowhunting” and wished I had bought a few books when I started out instead of going down the YouTube/internet learning hole. There’s some good info out there but you also have to wade through a ton of ego, crap and marketing online.

First two years probably made every mistake possible but got an archery doe and several turkeys, this year I still f’d things up a few times but at least had good opportunities at two bucks within 30 yards but wasn’t able to get a shot before they spooked.

will probably always hunt solo - I’ve worked in the bush, mostly alone, the past 18 years and feel comfortable with myself in the middle of nowhere, in just about any situation. Don’t know too many people on the same page so it makes it hard to think about finding a hunting partner.

Realizing now that to be a successful hunter, and furthermore pursue my interest in bowhunting more will require more dedication, commitment and time to be successful than I thought, always open to learn from others but teaching yourself something and getting good at it is pretty rewarding in my experience

I have had many now I have one solid one me lol. Last straw was when I took a guy out “new hunter “ put him in my prime spot and he shot a nice black tail. Week later he is in my spot with another hunter! Same guy had family in Fort saint Johns went up elk hunting on their farm I never got invited. Good riddance lol.

It’s definitely one of the toughest obstacles I have come across, cause not all people are alike in how do you like to hunt and ethics not just sharing information and the cost of fuel, food etc. I have friends that are good people and we get along just fine but there level of dedication is just not the same as mine as I found out on a recent hunt and don’t think I will do again because of that. You basically need to find your clone I feel like.

Got a couple people I like to hunt with , but mostly hunt solo. I’ve met some hunters through work but never actually follow through with going out because I put lots of money and time into finding my spots I like to keep top secret.

the only time I’ve been uncomfortable solo was the last night of a 2 week moose hunt in very remote northern BC, I had what I believe to be 2-3 Sasquatch screaming and whooping on each side of my tent. The experience was bone chilling and actually led me to leave 1 day sooner then I had to.