Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid hunting partners

Re: Solid hunting partners

the guy that got me into hunting passed me off to someone as else after I started getting more adventurous with my hunting spots. HE was older and knew a guy at work that hunted like me. He introduced us it went for one 'neutral' area death hike to get a feel for how we each handled shit conditions. We were pretty much the same hunter.

hunting together for 4 years now. Elk down. Sheep down. Goat down. Been a good run so far.

Its true when they say, it easier to find a new wife than a new hunting partner...

I've got a couple buddies who I hunt with, but they aren't as crazy about it as me, so I'll do some solo hunting as well.

Would be nice to find someone more hardcore about it. I want to do some serious elk hunting.

Solo hunter myself for the past 3-4 years. Sure, wouldn’t mind company at times but I am more organized now. I know exactly where everything is and goes. Setting up and breaking down takes time and is the only downside but I have become more of a minimalist. Safety for the Mrs..was always a concern …so I got a Zoleo. I still worry about breakdowns (ATV/Truck) so I venture out farther on my morning hunts and stay closer to camp in the evening just too many wolves in the bush these days.

I tried with buddy’s many years ago, got tired of babysitting…..absolutely no help with planning, no commitment to hunting dates, some would leave early, minimal effort to scouting, minimal to no own equipment, some picky with food….just eat what the group is eating, some needed to be told to do everything,,,,just no common sense. Some groups have issues with cost sharing, I find it’s more important to carry your own weight (your mama ain’t here).

A perfect scenario, like minded hunting buddy (3-4), that help with planning, commit to hunting trips and dates, stick to the schedule, a couple of rigs(safety), and they know each other so well that they can read minds.

my two bits….
    Last edited by DesiMunda; 11-24-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Having grown up hunting and instructed CORE and IBEP, I have a general (personal) rule that I follow. I explain this in every class.
    If you as a student, would like me to come out and help you assess your zone, - even if i know the area - if you show me your hunting location, I will never go back there without you. And, I expect the same in return. If I show someone my area to hunt, my expectation is, you won't go there without me either.

I've had several hunting buddies that I got into hunting and mentored. Many of them are not into hiking and hunting as hard as I am. I had one consistent partner, who I've known for...25 years or so. But he often works nights, has his kids on weekends, has to work overtime, etc.
    This year we added a member to the team. He is a former mountaineer, a dedicated fly fisherman, and general outdoorsman. But, other than a couple trips with his dad as a kid, he hadn't hunted. He's now obsessed. 2 deer, a bear, then bought a bow so he could keep hunting the doe zones.

Despite this, I still solo hunt sometimes.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Aint no secrets around here, if your eyes are open you are seeing what everyone else is seeing. Watch the dust trails and try and be the next one there.

Pretty well exclusively solo, except for the old man who is not the same after his hit and run on a rememberence day trip in 2021, feel kind of bad as I haven't made much time for him this year although we did get a 4 point on one of the trips we went on, plannin to do more next year. He aint gettin no younger either, hasnt been no saint over the years and didn't always make time for me, but got to remember time flyes and he could not be around next year.

I have spots I will never take a soul, ever. Taking a buddy out this weekend (new) and next weekend (not new) of course to two of my spots (how it always seems). Thing is, they may have the best intentions, promising you to never go back without you, but if you show em somewhere good, especially if you get an animal, and next year is tough for them, alot of guys will go back and more than likely not alone. But, i'm also a paranoid, there are guys you can trust, just hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I married mine. She was a city girl and didn’t hunt prior to our relationship but she’s a natural and we think alike in many ways. I tease her and say shes a woman version of myself lol. Actually she may be tougher than me and hunt harder lol. We have been together 16 years.

but I got lucky
    Finding a good hunting partner is like finding a good wife. So, I think that means you get a prize or something.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Pretty much in same boat, completely self taught as well. Other than my trooper of a girlfriend haven’t found a partner yet. This is my 3rd year hunting.