Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid hunting partners

Solid hunting partners

Do you have a solid hunting buddy/ies? Partner that puts in as much effort scouting and hunting as yourself? One that you can trust to not share your collective info with their buddies? Can you tell them all the details of your stories? Or are you a solo hunter?

I have recently been able to get into hunting after dreaming about it since I got out the womb and have had a successful first season. Nobody in my family hunts so I’m fully self taught from shows, the generous experience shared on this forum and best of all boots vs the ground. I’m nicely burnt out and in the red after dropping a ton time and $ with most of it going into gas and supplies to survive.

I was a steelhead bum for several years and have seen it all in the fishing buddies aspect. Buddies that are in your spot the next day, tell their friend your report “but don’t tell anyone!”, put in 0 work and expect me to take them to my shady spots etc. Hell I had buddies do a 600 km trip to a river that I told them I fished and did good at, I didn’t even mention when I went or what I caught. I have also found some solid buddies that I can trust and fish good together. It’s not to difficult to make friends fishing because you see the same people daily at the same lakes and rivers, the good fisherman tend to regularly be at good spots.

I hunted with my roommate once and got him on his first deer that I passed on, very exciting for both of us. It was at one of my spots that I had scouted prior, he just listened to instructions and pulled the trigger. I was talking to another friend that hunts about what I’ve been seeing, he handed me his 200$ trail camera and told me to throw it on a game trail since I’m driving to the areas frequently. He hunted his own spots for a bit but has since started hunting spots I suggested from my time scouting. I have fishing buddies that do a fair bit of hunting too. They don’t scout or do heavy hiking and tend to base their trips/roads on info people have told them. They’re good old boys that bring more alcohol than water on these trips, for some reason they have had little success on their hunting adventures.

Now as I reflect on the past season and plan my next I realize a solid hunting partner would be a great help to lighten packs, clear alpine bowls and brainstorm the next move. But hunting is not like fishing where I constantly interact with other fishermen and new friends can be at the next pool. I actually have yet to meet another hunter in the bush. There is also a LOT more on the line with a hunting spot vs a fishing spot. Because of that I hesitate to hunt or even scout with fishing buddies that have lots of contacts and loose lips.

So my question is how did/do you find a solid hunting partner?
    Last edited by grouse14; 11-23-2023 at 08:49 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Solid hunting partners

I haven't found one. The common denominator is me though, it's also you.

I married mine. She was a city girl and didn’t hunt prior to our relationship but she’s a natural and we think alike in many ways. I tease her and say shes a woman version of myself lol. Actually she may be tougher than me and hunt harder lol. We have been together 16 years.

but I got lucky

I too am a self taught hunter, put in lots of time and study....I mostly hunt solo, but when I bring a partner, I know I can trust them...none of them hunt or scout nearly as hard as I do..that's ok, I learn everytime I'm out there and enjoy it..

Solo myself, self taught. Started later in life, this year being my first. Mainly been a fly fisher most my life and steelheader as well the other half.

I have had the same hunting partner since 1970. We have not missed a year together until this year because of health issues. I would trust him with my life so yes hunting secrets also.

I have a good friend ( we worked together for many years ) that I moose hunt with and it’s all good .
    But really no one to hunt deer with . I’m always willing to learn , offer what I can . Pay my share if splitting the bill up .
    I have had potential partners but they don’t seem to workout for one reason or another . Some fellas get bent right out of shape with the booze .Getting into fights , C’mon man ,Time to grow up !
    I detest big egos . If one guy is doing the meals I want to trust he washed his hands after having a crap .
    Hunted with one guy if his motor were to pack it in on a hunt trip he would expect you to pay half, WHAT . The motor could have packed it in while driving at home .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-24-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I'm hunting solo... self taught novice. There's really not anyone I know that has a common interest in hunting.

I'd be open to a partner if we got along well otherwise.

I'm not even really that concerned about sharing scouting info or whatever because I think whoever I could partner with would probably be in a similar situation to me, solo hunter that hasn't been sharing anything with anyone else anyway.

Cool Re: Solid hunting partners

I have a very small circle of Buddies that I trust & hunt with.
    Took time of course to find some that would mesh with my absolute Red Neck attitude.
    But I did, and at this stage I am happy I made the effort!

Cheers & Good Luck!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

i have many acquaintances, a fair few friends but only a very small number of people i would hunt with...when i refer to someone as my "hunting partner", it is about the highest level of trust/respect i can have for another person. For over 20 years i hunted with the same 3 or 4 people and i was down to just 2 guys (trusted friend and his Dad) that i would hunt with....i even started doing solo trips (my old Boyscout training would always nag at me a bit to not set out too far alone)...In one of my favourite spots, I ran into the same fellow for several years in a row before we agreed to hunt together....we hunted together a little last year and a little more this year. This year was the first time i have felt a bit more adventurous and actually discussed/offered to hunt with some people i have met through this site (and others)...I figure, the only way i might find another person who shares my philosophies of hunting and life in general is to put myself out there a bit to folks who i have enjoyed sharing thoughts with here.