Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The calm before the storm

Re: The calm before the storm

Great story. Love the parts where your dog is judging you lol

I don't pluck much but when I get a nice mallard I make an attempt. I find the garden gloves that have the tacky grippy surface work pretty well as the feathers tend to stick to them.

Good stuff always enjoy reading your write ups.

This site is not only great for the stories, but full of helpful people and lots of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Well I was going to ask where the pellet holes were and did you actually shoot them or catch them in a net lol nice job
    It's taken me over 40 years but I think I've finally figured out the lead to hit them in the head / neck area lol. That or I'm over leading all my birds lately it's a new shotgun this season so I'm still working things out. I smacked one pretty good yesterday, story and pictures to follow.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Ducks have picked up in the bay with this cold weather. Went out for 2 hours before I had a job up in Cowichan to go to. Just walked into the field with 12 decoys and my spinners. Ducks were everywhere. Managed to get 5 mallards, a pintail and 2 mystery ducks (looked to be mallard hens but no coloured speculum, thinking juvenile mallards?) Must have been 800 ducks in the marsh beside terminal road. Looks like you had a good day! I will try to write a story like yours one day. It's good to read about other people successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Ducks have picked up in the bay with this cold weather. Went out for 2 hours before I had a job up in Cowichan to go to. Just walked into the field with 12 decoys and my spinners. Ducks were everywhere. Managed to get 5 mallards, a pintail and 2 mystery ducks (looked to be mallard hens but no coloured speculum, thinking juvenile mallards?) Must have been 800 ducks in the marsh beside terminal road. Looks like you had a good day! I will try to write a story like yours one day. It's good to read about other people successes.
    Do you have any pictures? It would be interesting to see what the mystery birds were. fire me an email with the pics to marc@huntingbc.ca if you've got pics would be interesting to see what you got.

BCWF

thanks for a great story! Hopefully next year I'll get out with my 12 gauge.
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    thanks for a great story! Hopefully next year I'll get out with my 12 gauge.
    you need to be careful its sort of like fishing there is always something else that comes out every year that's nice and shiny. Be it a new call, motion decoy, shotgun, new type off shells etc. It's addictive

BCWF

Sorry its not a great picture and I cleaned it shortly after. After looking through all the ducks, I am fairly certain it is a Gadwall Hen. It has a black line covering the center of it bill. Looks like I need to tune up on my identification. I only confidently know the identification for the ducks that have separate limits like the northern pin tail.