Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kamloops Whitetail

Re: Kamloops Whitetail

Contrary to popular belief, you can still hunt whitetails quite successfully, if you know youre in the right area at the right time, and go slow and methodical enough, it can be very effective..sounds like you have a decent area, I'm assuming you know whitetails are there this time of year? Finding their sheds is a good indicator anyway, if you have trailcams they can help you identify what deer are making the sign you're seeing.. the majority of the time they are spending in their bedding areas, they love the thicker stuff to bed in, think smaller young fir tree stands for example.. rattling can be very effective, especially if you're in an area with a good buck:doe ratio.. mulies will rut sooner than the whitetails, I'd say right now, especially since you're seeing them, that you have a better chance right now of harvesting a mulie 4 pt...

Years ago an old feller told me to hang a couple of small antler tines on a leather thong off your belt and let them touch the calf of your leg. As you walk the antlers will tinkle each other and every so often look behind you because a curious buck might poke his head out to see what is going on.
    Don't walk in a human rhythm pattern take two quick steps and pause then a couple more quick steps try to sound like a four-legged deer walking.
    This method works best on an old logging road with thick regrowth bushes on each side, when you stop to look back be tucked into the trees at the side.
    This works.
    MM

Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    The Primo’s can works very well. I have used it successfully on a few nice whitetail bucks both here in B.C. and in Alberta. I’m heading to Alberta for a hunt there in a few days, and a Primo’s can will be with me for sure.
    Which size can? I have the set of 3. I do usually have one with me once we hit this time of year.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    Years ago an old feller told me to hang a couple of small antler tines on a leather thong off your belt and let them touch the calf of your leg. As you walk the antlers will tinkle each other and every so often look behind you because a curious buck might poke his head out to see what is going on.
    Don't walk in a human rhythm pattern take two quick steps and pause then a couple more quick steps try to sound like a four-legged deer walking.
    This method works best on an old logging road with thick regrowth bushes on each side, when you stop to look back be tucked into the trees at the side.
    This works.
    MM
    Well there's a new one. I never heard of that. Sounds like it might work quite well in the right circumstances. I think I might give that a try. Have you had any success yourself with the dangling tines?
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Dangling tines, yes it works and I also tie the tarsal glands on my shoelaces.
    MM

I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!