Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamloops Whitetail

Kamloops Whitetail

Hey guys,

I know this is out of the blue, but I was reading an old forus and wondering if anyone had any tips on getting a whitetail buck. I'm pretty new to hunting and have never hunted whitetail before. I'm headed up to my parents cabin with a friend for almost a week where I've found some nice sized whitetail sheds but have yet to see one. There are parts where the forest is pretty open and has some grass clearings, there is a spring on one side, some dense forest, and a swamp area. Have seen lots of mule deer just walking around the forrest and lots of deer sign but no whitetail.

How would you go abouts hunting them? Where should I start? Should I try still hunting? Sitting in a clearing with sign and waiting? Any calling or rattling? Is the rut in full effect already? Also have a tree stand that isn't set up yet.

There have also been cow moose on the property and would love to shoot a spike if you had any pointers for that too but from what I hear it's pretty rare. Or any tips on getting a 4 point muley would also be appreciated. Hoping to fill the freezer this year.

Cheers,

Aiden

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kamloops Whitetail

I would try sitting and waiting. They seem to come out of nowhere,try some rattling and see what happens. They do like to come in downwind side of a rattle or grunt. I have been Hunting them from a tree stand,I really enjoy it up there, only drawback is it can get nasty cold

For whitetail this time of year sit and call and rattle. Look for scrape lines, fresh sign, and does. Still hunting is far less effective on whitetail than mule deer. They seem to spook much easier and don't often stop to look back and present a shot. Should be primetime over the next week for the rut.

Great thank you. What types of calls do you use? I have one of the primos doe bleat can calls but haven’t really used it. If you are rattling how often do you do it and for how long? Should I be thrashing bushes and using a grunt call at the same time?

I tried a grunt last year and had a buck come in and snorting and thrashing, louder than anything I had ever heard before. I could never get a real good look at him,but was an extremely awesome experience

That does sound pretty amazing would love to have an experience like that

I’ve never seen a buck come in to a Primos can, but they must work or they wouldn’t have a market. Definitely best to sit and wait for them. Rattling works. Find a trail intersection and set up your stand where you can see the most of the trials coming in. Take a thermos, a book and some WARM gear. Then sit. And wait. And wait. And wait. Repeat as necessary…
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

The Primo’s can works very well. I have used it successfully on a few nice whitetail bucks both here in B.C. and in Alberta. I’m heading to Alberta for a hunt there in a few days, and a Primo’s can will be with me for sure.

If you rattle start slow in case one is near by, then by the third sequence get loud and I mean kicking leaves breaking big branches and thumping the ground real loud, I believe this is what really attracts them to rattling don't be afraid to make noise and simulate and actual fight. Rattling never worked for me until I did this last year and rattled in two BT, one small 2 point and a really nice big 4X4 both with the same sequence using a medium sized BT and WT shed, and I hear WT are even more receptive to rattling

I'll try some sitting then and give rattling and calling a try and hopefully something will work out