Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating a Large Wall Tent

Heating a Large Wall Tent

Hey Fellas,

This year my camp upgraded to a 16x20 wall tent which was awesome - way more spacious than the Cabelas tent we had been cramming ourselves into. However, our little Cabelas wood stove struggled to heat the tent when the temps dropped much below -5. Do you guys have any tips or wood stove/diesel heater recommendations for a larger tent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heating a Large Wall Tent

No recommendations on heaters, but maybe get you a new hunting partner?

https://youtu.be/QMvE0yFnR0I?si=CaN5HR80Cmbk5wo2
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

My son in laws 14 x 16 Deluxe wall tent with a tarp over the roof and the wood stove purchased from them kept us toasty in minus 20 at night if we topped it up every 4 hours. I have a -35 sleeping bag and a 4 inch foamy on my cot so if I did'nt have to get up for a pee other residents did the stokeing!

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    No recommendations on heaters, but maybe get you a new hunting partner?

https://youtu.be/QMvE0yFnR0I?si=CaN5HR80Cmbk5wo2
    Now that's what I like, thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman7 View Post
    My son in laws 14 x 16 Deluxe wall tent with a tarp over the roof and the wood stove purchased from them kept us toasty in minus 20 at night if we topped it up every 4 hours. I have a -35 sleeping bag and a 4 inch foamy on my cot so if I did'nt have to get up for a pee other residents did the stokeing!
    That's good to know, most of the ones I saw on Deluxe's website were about 50-100 percent bigger than the one we have now.

I can build you one. I have pics of mine just not sure how to post here. Pm me

Quote Originally Posted by Bado20 View Post
    Hey Fellas,

This year my camp upgraded to a 16x20 wall tent which was awesome - way more spacious than the Cabelas tent we had been cramming ourselves into. However, our little Cabelas wood stove struggled to heat the tent when the temps dropped much below -5. Do you guys have any tips or wood stove/diesel heater recommendations for a larger tent?
    Are you sleeping on cots? How have you organized the tent with the stove location? One thing I have seen in the larger tents is that the floor of the tent stays much cooler and if you are too close to the ground you will be a bit on the cool side. That larger tent is a significant area to heat evenly and getting the heat source closer to the ground helps as well as getting your sleeping areas further from the ground.

One stove I saw that worked well in a tent that size was just a 36" piece of heavy pipe with one end closed and a simple door cut in the side about 1/3 the way up from the other end that was placed on the dirt floor. They used a slab of stone under the hinge side of the door to adjust the draft and had the chimney out of the top toward one wall of the pipe. The fire being on the ground seemed to radiate heat really well.

Good luck with your camp set up, once you get it dialed in you will love the larger tent.

Be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I have short legs on my stove and the pipe dampers about 12” from the roof. My idea is there’s more hot metal in the tent.

I have seen guys put their stove in the opposite end of the tent from the jack and run the stove pipe the whole length of the tent…

Saw a tent woodstove made from 2/3 of a 45 gal barrel,it was big enough to hold through the night

we've never tried to keep the heat on all night , so interested in the other perspective
    A good sleeping bag for sleep, and warm clothes for the awake hours
    A tin airtight will take the frost off in about a half hour for morning coffee, then drying time in the evening over a whisky while the stove pipe stays red for a couple hours

I have a 200 lb Blaze King for sale for those serious about long lasting heat
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC