Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HBC Website not displaying properly via HTTPS due to recent SSL implementation

Re: HBC Website not displaying properly via HTTPS due to recent SSL implementation

I kind of forgot about it all until I saw srupp's post and then another OG HBC member texted me today asking about it. Helped him get in with the work-around (see http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...eve-Rupp/page3 for picture / instruction tutorial) but the reality is that many have given up and new users coming across the site don't stand much chance signing up or sticking around. People being unable to load this site has been a topic on other forums and facebook groups, so it's definitely a pressing issue.

I'll reach out to Marc tomorrow. I think I might have dropped the telephone tag ball a couple months back. Should be a 5 minute fix on the backend. Maybe a bit more if it's shared hosting / shared IP but I've been doing this for a living for 20+ years (sad life I know) and my IT support for HBC is free. My way of giving back.

Hopefully we can work together to knock this out and keep the site going.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-13-2024 at 01:37 AM.

Re: HBC Website not displaying properly via HTTPS due to recent SSL implementation

My phone is fine, my laptop hasn’t been good for two months even after doing your end run. (but thanks for that)

HBC has been averaging less than fifty members at a time for several months now, so interest had definitely waned steadily and for several reasons. Archaic technology sure hasn’t helped, but maybe it’s too little too late.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    My phone is fine, my laptop hasn’t been good for two months even after doing your end run. (but thanks for that)

HBC has been averaging less than fifty members at a time for several months now, so interest had definitely waned steadily and for several reasons. Archaic technology sure hasn’t helped, but maybe it’s too little too late.
    Fixing the SSL issue would be the first thing. I'm 99.9% certain what happened is cPanel/WHM (the hosting control panel layer that runs out this server) defaulted to SSL being enabled with auto-generated Lets Encrypt certificates. Disabling that will immediately fix the issue people are having, but with a few adjustments, the site will work with SSL and this will help with search engine rankings and such (and get rid of the "Not Secure" warning)

Upgrading Vbulletin from 4.2 -> 5 -> 6 will make things a little more modern.

There are lots of popping forums out there (the classic web based ones) ... I think a little TLC will go along way, but it's the SSL that started in October which is the main reason for the drop in traffic.

Got a new Google pix 8 could not get the site to load, kept adding a s to http.

Went back to old Samsung s8

Quote Originally Posted by FishandSticks View Post
    Got a new Google pix 8 could not get the site to load, kept adding a s to http.

Went back to old Samsung s8
    This should be fixed on the back end in the near future. Will keep you updated.