Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salmon parasites

Re: Salmon parasites

My late father had his PHD and Masters in parasitology; he was mortified that I would cut the bellies out of salmon on the boat and serve it diced up with a ponzu sauce.

So far so good.

We did buy some halibut when he was out here from Winnipeg a number of years back (my freezer was empty) and when opening the brown paper packaging there were worms everywhere.

In saying that when we go for early springs or any springs for that matter we always cook up some fresh as they are SO good. Cooked to medium and no problems ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    They can grow to several metres….so 40 cm is a small one.

No weight loss or any other symptoms.
    Body got rid of it like normal waste.
    When I went to wipe something brushed my hand.
    Took a look and was mortified.

Hence my former knock name ‘worm boy’

SSS
    Berutal! Good thing you had no complications, and the body passed it on its own! Hahah yeah i'd imagine wasn't a good feeling when you took a look

Just lost my appetite for sushi

This pops up every couple of years.

It's my understanding that parasites in saltwater fish generally do not transmit to mammals.

However, parasites in freshwater fish do. Salmon having a significant portion of their life freshwater are susceptible to the ones that mammals can host.

I've eaten lots of saltwater fresh caught sashimi (tuna, yellowtail, halibut, etc). But, I never eat fresh salmon sashimi.

Sashimi is generally best after a short aging period (I think 4 days) but sometimes it's to hard to pass up on the boat!

I would never eat raw salmon. As a kid, We ate a lot of canned salmon. When I was 18, I worked in a cannery and after what I saw. It has been plus 40 years since I ate canned salmon. Imagine grabbing a salmon by the tail and your fingers slip through it like warm butter right down to the bone. They put decomposing salmon in some cans......