Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Almost met my maker this week.

Re: Almost met my maker this week.

One more safety tip when wearing waders, where a small sharp neck knife to cut yourself out of your waders. Lost a friend on the upper Pitt due to this kind of mistake and a knife would have saved his life.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Good to know you were ok.
    Always have a belt around your waste when wearing waders.
    I went for a drink once in a river here in LML while fishing.
    We crossed a river to go to an island while the water was low and didn't pay attention to notice that the river was rising fast so we had to make a hairy crossing.
    Water was fast and I was swept into the water, not too deep, but I was submerged completely and my waders did get some water in.
    I think I lost my hat and a knife. Kept fishing for the day due to the belt.
    I am a good swimmer but it still makes me nervous sometimes when I have to cross with waders on.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Marc is a friend of mine and was conversing with him shorly after the incident. Really glad he's ok and want to thank him for sharing. Im sure his experience will make allot of us slow down and think about how quick things can go south.

Definetely a great wake up call for all of us who use boats to hunt waterfowl.

2 years ago, I did a controlled float test " waist deep " where I purposely filled my neoprene waders with water.

2 conclusions:

1. My neoprene wader completely full of water were still boyant. I could lay on my back and float,move a bit but it was not easy. Easiest way for me to swim was laying on my back using my kayak paddle. Still, not easy even though i was controlled conditions (knew i was safe, no wind/current/tide/waves and in warm water.)

2. Waders were heavy as #$%^. Im a small guy and would have taken every ounce of strength I had to get myself into a boat solo. Could get into a stable platform like marc's momarsh or my 14' jon boat (as long as i hadnt exhausted myself already trying to swim for it) but no way I could get back into my little 12' canoe.

I now always wear a belt outside my waders to hopefully slow the ingress of water if I ever go in. And i always wear a pfd in the boat. Even though the waders are boyant, doesnt help if you are floating unconcious face down. Definitely not swimming against any current/tide. You are at the mercy of where the water takes you.

Be careful out there folks!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-20-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Marc is a friend of mine and was conversing with him shorly after the incident. Really glad he's ok and want to thank him for sharing. Im sure his experience will make allot of us slow down and think about how quick things can go south.

Definetely a great wake up call for all of us who use boats to hunt waterfowl.

2 years ago, I did a controlled float test " waist deep " where I purposely filled my neoprene waders with water.

2 conclusions:

1. My neoprene wader completely full of water were still boyant. I could lay on my back and float,move a bit but it was not easy. Easiest way for me to swim was laying on my back using my kayak paddle. Still, not easy even though i was controlled conditions (knew i was safe, no wind/current/tide/waves and in warm water.)

2. Waders were heavy as #$%^. Im a small guy and would have taken every ounce of strength I had to get myself into a boat solo. Could get into a stable platform like marc's momarsh or my 14' jon boat (as long as i hadnt exhausted myself already trying to swim for it) but no way I could get back into my little 12' canoe.

I now always wear a belt outside my waders to hopefully slow the ingress of water if I ever go in. And i always wear a pfd in the boat. Even though the waders are boyant, doesnt help if you are floating unconcious face down. Definitely not swimming against any current/tide. You are at the mercy of where the water takes you.

Be careful out there folks!
    It's the exact reason those waist belt's come with the waders. And PFD's, things can go sideways in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    It's the exact reason those waist belt's come with the waders.
    They certainly should all come with them, not all (like mine) did. In any case, easy addition
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-20-2023 at 12:11 PM.

the shortcuts we take as we get older and wiser......
    good reality check Marc, good story writing too

a good river knife affixed to a good inflatable pfd is a great gift to someone too wise for their own good
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Close call. At least you got back safe