Thread: Whitetail Migration From High Elevation

Whitetail Migration From High Elevation

I have a high elevation spot in region 8 that is quite productive for whitetail in the early season. However, come October the spot is not nearly as productive and sign is scarce. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this could be due to whitetail migration patterns (vs. typical hunting pressure)? If so, generally what is the pattern and timing for this migration?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail Migration From High Elevation

Good observations, and often can not be generalized to a large area when it can be something subtle in the local conditions to start
    A seasonal migration is a given, it is going to happen , sometime
    imo
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I live in the Okanagan and have hunted here for decades. As to deer migration, most mule and whitetail deer migrate to lower elevations in the fall. I say most, but not all. There are always some who do not migrate. Those that do not migrate, usually hang around the lake areas.

Migrating deer (both types) start to move toward lower elevations around the end of September/beginning of October. They don't necessarily move quickly but they seem to move gradually towards the lower elevations. By the end of October, the vast majority are in the lower areas in time for the beginning of the rut. A sudden and early heavy dump of snow can effect the timing of the migration, but for the most part, that seems to be the pattern for region 8.

Great question. Hope that helps
    Last edited by hunterdon; 10-10-2023 at 08:29 AM.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

It happened in a few places in the EK, the more it snowed the bigger the bucks that were killed.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Thanks Hunterdon! With regards to your comments on mule deer, that is great to know; I was always under the assumption that most mule deer, particularly big bucks, stayed at high elevations until the snows got deep enough to push them down.

Some mule deer do stay high longer than others. However, contrary to popular opinion, some mule deer actually stay in the valley bottoms all year long and don't migrate at all. I have acreage in the bottom and have the advantage of observing deer movements or shall I say lack of movement to the high country by some individual mule deer. And that includes some really big mule deer bucks.

So, to summarize, when it comes to migration or actually any behavior on the part of wildlife, we can only generalize on animal behavior. If one hunts long and seriously enough, you will come across certain individual animals, that seem to break all the norms. I can almost write a book on things I've experienced over the decades that is just such unusual behavior. I always say, animals are like people, and like some people, some animals just seem to walk to a different drum beat than most others. That makes it really interesting!
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!