Thread: Tunkwa Area Recommendations?

Tunkwa Area Recommendations?

Hello,

Got a short notice invite to Tunkwa Lake to join some family there for a birthday party. Thinking of tacking on three days to try for some deer. I heard the area is still recovering from the '21 fires - is anyone familiar with the area and could help me with some pointers? Is it worth trying? Any rough areas you can recommend?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tunkwa Area Recommendations?

Haven’t hunted there since fires. Whitetail were found along the power line mainly. Go slow along the timber edges if any timber left. Mule deer were plentiful all over but had to go high for bigger bucks

Taking my 6 yr old boy on his first real hunt at the end of Oct. Hoping a few grouse and a buck or 2 can help me make it a success. If you are going in nov. I can let you know how I make out. Will be my first time in the area

Check refs for motor vehicles closures. Sadly they are not enforced though

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    Check refs for motor vehicles closures. Sadly they are not enforced though
    As you leave Logan lake and head towards Tunkwa. Most, If not all roads on the right side are closed to any vehicles.

I agree with you, but can’t find a clear map saying this. There were local hard signs posting the closure. The new map is different now than years previous. Govt doesn’t make things easy

I live in Logan Lake and the fire was a category 6 which is the hottest and there is very little life left in the burns. No birds, squirrels and few 4-legged animals.
    That will change over the long term. If you stay at Tunkwa its less than half hour to Savona and then all the north side of Kamloops Lake is open up the Chris Creek road.