Thread: Digiscoping

Digiscoping

What are you guys using for Digiscoping these days? I’m familiar with phone skope but is there anything else out there worth checking out? Does anybody use a magview? Looks like a pretty slick system.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Digiscoping

I have used a product originally by "Tines Up". Like phone scope, but the mount ring was all alum. Worked pretty slick and was able to mount up on any optic, bino or spotter.

I have since changed up to magview. It is faster to mount the phone to and is a pretty slick system.

They both have a few "nuances" that are annoying.

Magview: Quicker to mount, only spotter, you have to buy another kit for bino, can be a pain if you use your spotter at an angle and not perfectly vertical. (this can be adjusted for, just need to get used to it). I have mine slightly loose on the spotter so I can rotate it for when using the spotter in an off angle, but this adds a bit of a camber effect on the phone and while it still works, just makes a bit of a smaller field of view and not a "full" view. (if that makes sense.). I use a separate phone case for it as the mounting plate is large for the magnet and doesn't let me Q charge the phone with it on as it blocks the charger. Stays on the spotter and still fits in the spotter case, ready for quick use. Easier to change phone models with and just remount the base plate to new phone case. Direct order out of the US.

Tines Up: takes seconds longer to mount phone to. Use a separate phone case to mount the adapter ring to, as there is a protrusion on the case for the adjusting ring. Mounts to any optic bino or spotter, and easy to re-adjust at any angle you want with a firm grip. Harder to change up phone models, as the receiver ring on case will need to be re mounted to new phone, this can be done, just a bit more involved, but still easy. Direct order out of the US when I bought it. They are now under "Scope Cam", I think the same guys just broke off the original "tines up" group. They are on gen 2 now with some great additional hardware that was not available when I purchased it 6 years ago. It is robust and all alum and has never let me down in the years I used it.
    https://scopecamadapter.com/scopecam-3/

Hard to recommend one over the other as they both have some great points, but some nuances as well.