Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 4 elk LEH

Re: Region 4 elk LEH

Elk population in BC 15,000 - 40,0000. Elk population in Colorado over 280,000. There is no way we can model our elk seasons the same way they model theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter View Post
    Elk population in BC 15,000 - 40,0000. Elk population in Colorado over 280,000. There is no way we can model our elk seasons the same way they model theirs.
    And that is purely do to topography etc? Or years of subpar management? Genuinely curious

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I heard the outfitters have been pressuring them to put all big game under LEH, province wide.
    They wouldn’t support LEH proposals if “they also had to apply “!, vs being allocated regardless what the rest of us have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    We were talking about LEH changes/implementation. Name one area or animal where it has made an improvement. We were at a loss to name one. Just saying!
    as mentioned WK elk was better when on leh

There is no question that elk numbers are way down in the EK. I think that shortening the season would help. Quit hunting in the rut (to include archery). Limit motorized access and off-road vehicle use. Enhance winter range. While we're at it, we've reduced whitetail populations more than enough as well. GD

you guys are assuming there is a problem with the elk pop numbers at what they are now
    the holding capacity of Anywhere-near-people B.C. has changed in 20 yrs, they may be resistance to just growing more elk for the sake of just having more
    to say the Min of Elk is incompetent makes it sound like they have a higher goal they are not achieving, I think they are satisfied with the way numbers have dropped and the related problems have diminished
    Prove me wrong, where are the efforts or pressure to increase pop numbers?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    There is no question that elk numbers are way down in the EK. I think that shortening the season would help. Quit hunting in the rut (to include archery). Limit motorized access and off-road vehicle use. Enhance winter range. While we're at it, we've reduced whitetail populations more than enough as well. GD
    you figure there is a shortage of bulls in the ratio? why curtail opportunity just to grow older elk?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Don’t take my comments as leh is our saving grace. Leh can be a great tool that could allow hunters to target old bulls after the rut.
    The ministry needs to start dumping money( aerial surveys and wolf culls, general pred reduction, habitat improvements, change logging practices, close a ton of roads….etc ) into our wild life before we’ll see any drastic improvements. West kootenay elk was leh for a long time and had a ton of huge bulls and over all great genetics….opened it for gos 6pt+ and what do they have now? Don’t forget that states like colorado are 1/3 the size of Bc yet they have 4-5times more elk. Obviously the wildlife model the states uses is working.
    How do predator numbers compare in Colorado to here? Just look at what a few wolves did to the elk populations in Yellowstone...

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    We were talking about LEH changes/implementation. Name one area or animal where it has made an improvement. We were at a loss to name one. Just saying!
    I have to agree, we just don't see any upside to the LEH system in improving populations.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter View Post
    Where did you get those population estimates from?

This, according to the government website says 35,000 to 71,500... though that's quite the spread, it would be optimal if they put more funding, which subsequently leads to more aerial counts etc.. I don't exactly have alot of confidence in their estimates..but I'd assume it would be a lot higher than 15,000-40,000..