Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 4 elk LEH

Re: Region 4 elk LEH

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    Local CO claims that R4 considering LEH elk only. Anyone else heard this?
    The CO is not correct. Why we always believe what CO's say is beyond me. There is a proposal to create LEH Youth/Senior opportunities on private land.
    For the rest of the region, the overwhelming demand from a certain organization to move the WK to LEH is correct. However, neither the Ministry staff responsible, nor the many other stakeholders involved in the discussion are supporting a move to LEH. Consultation is ongoing and occurring. There will eventually be a posting on Engage BC for comments.
    Last edited by J_T; 09-30-2023 at 08:02 AM.

If the natives get heavily involved it's almost an absolute.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I can understand the “rumour”.
    The elk situation up there isn’t great.
    And if it continues without the proper issues not being addressed to turn things around, I could see an Leh.
    But if that happens, then kiss it all good bye.
    If we can’t fix that, a main area for many to hunt elk for generations of the past, then I don’t see how we fix anything for the future.

What about an LEH for 3pt or better?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    Local CO claims that R4 considering LEH elk only. Anyone else heard this?
    I heard the outfitters have been pressuring them to put all big game under LEH, province wide.

Quote Originally Posted by jan.wi97 View Post
    What about an LEH for 3pt or better?
    Or we could follow the model that the Americans use…..allow people to harvest across the entire age group with a 6week bow season for any bull then have a late leh rifle season.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Or we could follow the model that the Americans use…..allow people to harvest across the entire age group with a 6week bow season for any bull then have a late leh rifle season.
    that is exactly what my brother in-law was saying… the model in the states works… why not here as well?

Because the ministry isn’t smart enough to do anything that would increase wildlife/fish populations. They’re too busy pandering to special interest groups.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 10-01-2023 at 02:48 PM.

We were talking about LEH changes/implementation. Name one area or animal where it has made an improvement. We were at a loss to name one. Just saying!

Don’t take my comments as leh is our saving grace. Leh can be a great tool that could allow hunters to target old bulls after the rut.
    The ministry needs to start dumping money( aerial surveys and wolf culls, general pred reduction, habitat improvements, change logging practices, close a ton of roads….etc ) into our wild life before we’ll see any drastic improvements. West kootenay elk was leh for a long time and had a ton of huge bulls and over all great genetics….opened it for gos 6pt+ and what do they have now? Don’t forget that states like colorado are 1/3 the size of Bc yet they have 4-5times more elk. Obviously the wildlife model the states uses is working.