Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing moose

Re: Missing moose

I have cams up the unit I hunt in region 3 and have a lot of boots on the ground time. At least 6 bulls within 3km of each other and a lot more cows. There are more moose here now than I’ve seen in a long time. Hunting success is a poor predictor of population. Dumb as they can seem, they can be crafty.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

PM incoming

Moose numbers continue to go down in most areas, there is the odd place maybe they are holding their own and maybe going up a bit. I know there are those that the stars align and run into a number of them while others see nothing, I've been that guy on occasion. But wether you drive, quad or hike and you don't see poop that's not years old, sine of feeding, winter feeding, rubs, tracks that don't have grass or trees growing in them. Even if you don't see a moose these things have to be there thay can't hide or walk away, if these things are not there, moose are not there.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I have cams up the unit I hunt in region 3 and have a lot of boots on the ground time. At least 6 bulls within 3km of each other and a lot more cows. There are more moose here now than I’ve seen in a long time. Hunting success is a poor predictor of population. Dumb as they can seem, they can be crafty.
    Agreed. I am seeing heaps of bulls and cows in my region 3 area. Watched them all summer and now into the fall.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

No Wolf Tracks means no Moose and the few Cows which get away during the Winter have there Calves taken by Bears during Calving time.

Since it became mandatory to remove the Meat from a shot Black Bear, the hunting of Black Bears has slowed down considerably.

Nothing but nothing will rectify the situation until massive Predator control programs have been implemented a few years in a row but I know that is wishful thinking given the massive misguided attitudes and relentless misinformation by so called Environmentalists. Perhaps the only one which could move the Government on Predator control programs are the first Nations, they are the only one with a Stick.

Cheers and good luck on your Moose hunts !

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Also maybe more people should be upset that we are spraying the shit out of the woods with glysophate.

That can't be good for any animals that eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Also maybe more people should be upset that we are spraying the shit out of the woods with glysophate.

That can't be good for any animals that eat it.
    That stuff is pure poison!!

In our hunting area the moose were near water sources in higher elevations, where we hunted elk over a three week span and only saw one cow and calf moose other than that no moose or sign. And a first, we never heard a single wolf howl over the whole hunt, so apparently they moved along or got taken out at some time.

I've often wondered if the moose herds are migrating further south?

Same happens up here in fsj I know of at least 3 stewards that take 3-4 moose each every year they really need to enforce same rules for every one not 1 set for 1 group and another set for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by 338edgehunter View Post
    Same happens up here in fsj I know of at least 3 stewards that take 3-4 moose each every year they really need to enforce same rules for every one not 1 set for 1 group and another set for the rest.
    Depends on what they are doing with 3-4 moose per year. I was in the supermarket in WL and the cashier said she got half a moose "courtesy of the Halfway FN", now I don't have an issue with hunting for their own FN community, but sending meat that far down south is a bit of a stretch don't you think? And I kind of agree with you, we should be able to hunt moose for our grandparents and extended family too. I'd shoot 3-4 moose and deer every season to keep everyone fed.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Depends on what they are doing with 3-4 moose per year. I was in the supermarket in WL and the cashier said she got half a moose "courtesy of the Halfway FN", now I don't have an issue with hunting for their own FN community, but sending meat that far down south is a bit of a stretch don't you think? And I kind of agree with you, we should be able to hunt moose for our grandparents and extended family too. I'd shoot 3-4 moose and deer every season to keep everyone fed.
    or shoot 1 like the rest of the licensed population and go to Save on Foods for the rest. The need for sustenance hunting in the 21st century in nonsense.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education