Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing moose

Missing moose

We just got back from our LEH hunt in 5-15C and were surprised by the lack of moose. Lots of miles on the truck and the boots and calling in areas that were good in the past. 1 cow moose sighted in 6 days of hard hunting and no bulls. Very little sign anywhere. Was there a bad winter there? Could be bear predation, but that area has always been thick with bears.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Missing moose

Bears are eating most of the calves.

Wolves are getting the rest.

Haven't seen a calf in years now in region 5

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Bears are eating most of the calves.

Wolves are getting the rest.

Haven't seen a calf in years now in region 5
    Ya ya bears and wolves are causing the decline whatever you want to believe!

Quote Originally Posted by jkraus View Post
    Ya ya bears and wolves are causing the decline whatever you want to believe!
    That sounds like you don't believe it. What would you say the problem is?
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Stewards of the land overharvesting. Ask the Government to see the Compulsory Inspection data, oh right, the Stewards don't have to report.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Stewards of the land overharvesting. Ask the Government to see the Compulsory Inspection data, oh right, the Stewards don't have to report.
    I've heard that they generally don't go into this area but stay toward the Chilcotin side
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    I've heard that they generally don't go into this area but stay toward the Chilcotin side
    Don't believe everything you hear.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    Oh brother.....who ever told you that is full of it.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

I’m running into the same problem in my regular area right now too. There’s a few places I always see moose sign and this year there’s zero. I picked up a few caribou and two black bears on my trail cams. I’ve never seen any caribou sign up there in the ten years I’ve been hunting the same area. About 3-4 years ago I started seeing more wolves in the area that moved down south from where they normally hung out, but I didn’t see any wolf sign this trip either. There was a fire slightly to the north this past summer, so I’m wondering if that had something to do with it. It was warm when I was up there last week, but I usually see tracks during the summer months too, so I dont know.

I’m heading back up in a few days and I’m going to keep travelling until I see some indication of a moose nearby and then setup camp.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

As far as predators go. I think everything is cyclic and if there’s lots of food around than the animals(wolves/bears) will multiply until the food source dwindles and then the predators will decline and ungulates will repopulate.

I don’t mind hunting around wolves, that just means there’s food around.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.