Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best days for October Elk

Best days for October Elk

I can probably make it up for one more weekend of Elk hunting until it closes on the 20th.

Which dates would you go if you had time off, when do you find the most action in Oct?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best days for October Elk

No expert but just after thanksgiving up here a second rut kicks in, I know people with luck that week. Also in 7a the season closes on October 9, I think you can put 2 and 2 together. Good luck man. Day 4 for me this week. Almost had one on Monday, they’re getting tough to call unless you’re right on them. Cowed up and seemingly quiet , only vocals I’ve heard is a chuckle with only exhale sounds.

I've seen mature bulls with cows right into mid November. Trail cam pics over the years show cruising bulls up to Halloween
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Right around Thanks Giving the bulls are cruising and its the second rut or so.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

I’m getting out again for a few days right after thanksgiving. You never know unless you get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    No expert but just after thanksgiving up here a second rut kicks in, I know people with luck that week. Also in 7a the season closes on October 9, I think you can put 2 and 2 together. Good luck man. Day 4 for me this week. Almost had one on Monday, they’re getting tough to call unless you’re right on them. Cowed up and seemingly quiet , only vocals I’ve heard is a chuckle with only exhale sounds.
    You too! On the 17th I called one in and had my crosshairs on his vitals. He had 3 broken tines on his only visible to me side of rack. After a standoff waiting for him to turn his head and him being a 7 on that side then moving just behind cover as I was literally about to pull the trigger. Stalked to him and were calling back and forth, then 40-50 yards away wind switched and bye bye. So close, almost had my first Elk

Quote Originally Posted by savage10 View Post
    I’m getting out again for a few days right after thanksgiving. You never know unless you get out there!
    For sure, if I wasn't so broke I would be up every weekend until the 20th but just can not afford to this year

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    For sure, if I wasn't so broke I would be up every weekend until the 20th but just can not afford to this year

Move buddy, and get a better job in a town that has elk near it!
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Right around Thanks Giving the bulls are cruising and its the second rut or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I've seen mature bulls with cows right into mid November. Trail cam pics over the years show cruising bulls up to Halloween
    Think i'm going to go thanksgiving weekend or the weekend just after

Good luck, I called in a big 6pt September 3. Had him broadside at 80 yards. (Bow) got him to come in but at 50y same story. Wind changed.

also had one come in silent yesterday chuckling with his breath only, I was walking a cut line and I figured he made me and snuck off.

Hoping to connect before work starts again on Monday