Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motor Vehicle Closed Areas

Re: Motor Vehicle Closed Areas

I only come across BIG Bastar*s And never have a LEH . RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    I only come across BIG Bastar*s And never have a LEH . RJ
    came across two immies in the spring but obviously grow larger, but it was like seeing two unicorns…. Or too much whiskey?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

All the deep ruts, and severe erosion in this area can be blamed almost entirely on ATV's. Most especially sxs machines. In fairness, most damage is done during the summer by recreational riders. Aggressive tires and abundant power results in a lot of digging. GD

ATV closures do not apply to FN's traditional ways.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    ATV closures do not apply to FN's traditional ways.
    Nothing applies to Indians
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I wonder why we cannot carry unclipped tags into the next year, don't the outfitters get to carry their annual allotment over to the next year if they don't take the game animals?
    for g/os, some of if not all species on allocation are a number of several years, 3 or 5 maybe? idk, allows for fluctuation in harvest success, they can over-achieve and adjust for the next year(s)

for bc resi hunters, you buy an annual permit to harvest with an expiry date, it would take some work to get that changed to an open-end non-dated permit
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 10-02-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

When it comes to 2point moose number, If you have 20 calves, half are going to be male. Overwinter the survival rate if I remember reading was between 70% and 30%. The 70% was for moose living in the suburbs . So that's three 2 pointers. If you see 20 cow/calf pairs you should be able to see three 2pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    When it comes to 2point moose number, If you have 20 calves, half are going to be male. Overwinter the survival rate if I remember reading was between 70% and 30%. The 70% was for moose living in the suburbs . So that's three 2 pointers. If you see 20 cow/calf pairs you should be able to see three 2pointers.
    Local bio told us bulls were about 25% of population, when I asked her what percentage would be spike/fork she just laughed.

Still trying to capture how you reach the conclusion 'that's three 2 pointers'?? A lot of young bulls will sport 3x3 racks, and I don't think there is any way to calculate how many bulls would be spike forks.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    They aren’t unicorns…..I killed 3 spike/fork moose between 2011-2016 and seen many more plus know a few others who have killed them.
    Well, you know what they say about luck of the Irish?

How many of those others you know were hunting under a moose group hunt? I think if you have a bull moose LEH, individual or group, then you shouldn't be allowed to take a spike fork. Leave those for the guys that just don't get LEH draws for moose.

Not all 1st year bulls will be 2-points or less, some grow three and 4 points. I read somewhere its only like 20% of all first year bulls will be two point or less. So out of 100 calves born, you can assume 50 would be bulls and of those 50 bulls only 10 would be 2 point or less based on the stat I read. Thats why they use the season, its pretty fail safe as even if every 2 point was killed in an area it would only represent 10% of that age population.

Some places also just have the genetics to produce a higher percentage of 2 points then the average.

A few years ago i was checking out a new spot in early november for deer and all I found was 6 bull moose. One was a solitaire big bull. The next was 2 bulls together, one being a spike and the other being 3x3 with antlers only about 6-8 inches long. I consider both of these first year bulls. The next was a group of three bulls, one was 2x2, one a 3x3 and the third was a 4x4. All the bulls had antlers about 1 foot long and all the same body size and I consider them all first year bulls. All of these three bulls antlers looked the same except for the amount of 2-3 inch stickers they pushed out making them either a 3 or 4 point bull.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.