Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Re: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    There’s a BIG DIFFERENCE ! in recoil between a 6.5 CM and a 7 PRC ! Even the smaller 6.5 PRC is bunch more then a 6.5 CM in the same or close weight rifle .
    Jlirot you do RELIZE Don’t you a 7 PRC is just like a 7 REM Mag without a belt ! A LOT ! more cartridge then a CM is .
    get yourself a 6.5 CM or a 7-08 REM ! JMO RJ

I have most cartridges “ 6.5 Grendel 6.5 CM. 260 REM 6.5x55 SWEDE 6.5 PRC 7-08 REM 280 REM 280 AI 7 PRC 7 REM Mag 7 STW 7-300 WBEE “ SO JMO. You need a 6.5 CM or 7-08 REM in a light weight . If you go up in weight the 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC are both GREAT cartridges . Again JMO RJ
    Yes. but, I haven't shot either so can't comment on recoil. I shoot both 270 and 308. Have gone bigger but I don't think I would enjoy spending time at the range with them so opt to stay with the lighter calibers. I'm not hunting grizz and I would be comfortable shooting a moose with what I have. Your comments are always appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Yes. but, I haven't shot either so can't comment on recoil. I shoot both 270 and 308. Have gone bigger but I don't think I would enjoy spending time at the range with them so opt to stay with the lighter calibers. I'm not hunting grizz and I would be comfortable shooting a moose with what I have. Your comments are always appreciated!
    I’m with RJ on the 6.5 CM or 7mm-08 (in that order) for the obvious choices in a lightweight mountain rifle. If you’re only shooting deer I wouldn’t eliminate the .243 win with a well-constructed bullet either. I knew a guy who carried one in the alpine and killed every deer he shot at long before all of the ‘better’ bullet choices available today.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I’m with RJ on the 6.5 CM or 7mm-08 (in that order) for the obvious choices in a lightweight mountain rifle. If you’re only shooting deer I wouldn’t eliminate the .243 win with a well-constructed bullet either. I knew a guy who carried one in the alpine and killed every deer he shot at long before all of the ‘better’ bullet choices available today.
    YUP ! 243 or 6 CM or 6 Rem ! are all good deer Killers . RJ

Remember Shot placement is #1 JMO RJ

I wouldn't be buying a ruger if your wanting lightweight.
    .308 will work for your needs
    if your on a tight budget look for a howa superlite in .308 4.7lbs
    prophet river has one in stock 1500$
    I use a 5.2lbs 20" 300wsm for my mountain gun.

I've seen a couple if interesting rifles listed recently. One is a Howa Elevate and the other Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm guessing this crowd are more Tikka than Howa fans....

I've seen a couple if interesting rifles listed recently. One is a Howa Elevate and the other Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm guessing this crowd are more Tikka than Howa fans....
    Almost every crowd will be more for Tikka.
    There probably the best "budget" rifle you can buy
    There accurate, have a smooth action, triggers are good and can be upgraded with a 20$ spring, reliable, light weight.
    The only downside to the tikka's are the stocks. but there's so many aftermarket parts available for tikka now plus prefit barrels its hard not to run with one.
    A lot of people are also using tikka actions for custom rifle builds.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    Almost every crowd will be more for Tikka.
    There probably the best "budget" rifle you can buy
    There accurate, have a smooth action, triggers are good and can be upgraded with a 20$ spring, reliable, light weight.
    The only downside to the tikka's are the stocks. but there's so many aftermarket parts available for tikka now plus prefit barrels its hard not to run with one.
    A lot of people are also using tikka actions for custom rifle builds.
    what’s wrong with the factory stocks ? RJ

I've replaced all my plastic Tikka stocks with McMillan, Manner or MDT chassis, but they all shot well in the factory handles
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Never shot a .308 but I can tell you shooting my Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor is like shooting a .22 LR compared to my Remington 700. .30 06 .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !