Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Re: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Get a lightweight 280ai. Mine is 6lbs 2oz scoped and shoots .25" groups
    that’s smaller then the bullet diameter RJ

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    that’s smaller then the bullet diameter RJ
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I had a howa alpine in 308, definitely regret selling that one. I know of an alpine in 65cm sitting in a rack for sale but haven't bought it yet
    Just a conspiracy bro!

I’ll add another nod to the Kimber Montana in a short action like the .308, 7mm-08 or 6.5 cm. A great combination of lightweight and accuracy. I had a long action Montana in 280 AI and although it was very accurate I found it pretty whippy with my hand loads spitting out 140 Accubonds over 3000 fps. So much so that I had to learn to shoot it at the range with a good consistent grip on the forestock.
    I sold that rifle and got another in .308 second hand which I had GEF convert to 6.5 cm with a Benchmark barrel trimmed to 22”. Much easier to keep the muzzle quiet pushing 130 Accubonds to 2820 fps with hand loads. I have a bit of room to possibly push it over 2900 fps but I’m at a good accuracy node at 2820 so not much to gain when it’s already plenty of medicine out to 400 yards for deer or goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I’ll add another nod to the Kimber Montana in a short action like the .308, 7mm-08 or 6.5 cm. A great combination of lightweight and accuracy. I had a long action Montana in 280 AI and although it was very accurate I found it pretty whippy with my hand loads spitting out 140 Accubonds over 3000 fps. So much so that I had to learn to shoot it at the range with a good consistent grip on the forestock.
    I sold that rifle and got another in .308 second hand which I had GEF convert to 6.5 cm with a Benchmark barrel trimmed to 22”. Much easier to keep the muzzle quiet pushing 130 Accubonds to 2820 fps with hand loads. I have a bit of room to possibly push it over 2900 fps but I’m at a good accuracy node at 2820 so not much to gain when it’s already plenty of medicine out to 400 yards for deer or goats.

SO ! WHAT Are you saying there - Too much recoil or ? If so Yes the LW 280 AI s are a hand Full for Sure over a 6.5 - 308 ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 10-02-2023 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    SO ! WHAT Are you saying there - Too much recoil or ? If so Yes the LW 280 AI s are a hand Full for Sure over a 6.5 - 308 ! RJ
    Just making the observation that the super lightweight Kimber Montana is probably better suited to the short action, lighter recoil calibres. That’s more of a personal preference than a knock on the long actions as my 280 AI was sub-MOA and a pleasure to carry.

It was a big improvement over the T3 in 300 WSM that I had prior. That rifle was the one that made me rethink the lightweight and high velocity combination. Of course any of these options would be nicer to shoot with a muzzle brake.

The lighter they are and with potent cartridges the more are RECOIL is generated . That said is why I went with a 6.5 CM in my ULTRA LIGHT rifle instead of a 7-08 or 284 or 308 etc . RJ

I am following this thread with interest. I have been considering buying a 'light mountain rifle'. And, it would have to be something in a mild recoiling caliber because I'm a recoil puss. Shooting 12 ga slugs in my youth ruined me and I get twitchy with hard hitting rifles. I'm better, but still have a huge aversion to big recoil. I like the idea of 6.5 CM or 7mm PRC in a lightweight package. I'd probably go with 6.5 because it seems that ammo should always be available - I don't reload. I don't want to derail the thread. Just saying that I appreciate all the great input.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I am following this thread with interest. I have been considering buying a 'light mountain rifle'. And, it would have to be something in a mild recoiling caliber because I'm a recoil puss. Shooting 12 ga slugs in my youth ruined me and I get twitchy with hard hitting rifles. I'm better, but still have a huge aversion to big recoil. I like the idea of 6.5 CM or 7mm PRC in a lightweight package. I'd probably go with 6.5 because it seems that ammo should always be available - I don't reload. I don't want to derail the thread. Just saying that I appreciate all the great input.
    There’s a BIG DIFFERENCE ! in recoil between a 6.5 CM and a 7 PRC ! Even the smaller 6.5 PRC is bunch more then a 6.5 CM in the same or close weight rifle .
    Jlirot you do RELIZE Don’t you a 7 PRC is just like a 7 REM Mag without a belt ! A LOT ! more cartridge then a CM is .
    get yourself a 6.5 CM or a 7-08 REM ! JMO RJ

I have most cartridges “ 6.5 Grendel 6.5 CM. 260 REM 6.5x55 SWEDE 6.5 PRC 7-08 REM 280 REM 280 AI 7 PRC 7 REM Mag 7 STW 7-300 WBEE “ SO JMO. You need a 6.5 CM or 7-08 REM in a light weight . If you go up in weight the 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC are both GREAT cartridges . Again JMO RJ

With a good range finder and a matching scope 308 will do it all. Have a 16.5" 308 with a Leopold mill dot scope, shooting by the numbers gets me out to 410yds at 9x with a 150gr bullet probably 500 if I went with a 130/125gr and moved out to a 225yd zero. But it's a m77 laminate at 7.25lb scoped not light for 308 but a change of stocks would fix that. Puts the recoil at about 20lbs, as apposed to my 300wsm at 30+lbs %(#$&@.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.