Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Re: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Got a .308 featherweight, though not a 'mountain rifle', I find it’s a pretty ideal cartridge for practical / realistic hunting ranges.
    ​Also have a Model 70 Featherweight/.30-06 . . . Leupold Compact 6x. Am carrying it more and more nowadays. As RackStar suggests above "it's a pretty ideal" . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Its not the distance capabilities of the .308 that is my problem with that calibre its the wind deflection.

7 PRC 175gr Precision Hunter ammo drifts 10" in a 10mph crosswind @ 490 yards, the 308 Win 178gr Precision Hunter drifts 10" @ 395 yards

Inside 300 yards, the 308 works very well for anything in BC with the right ammo. The average distance for my last dozen big game kills is 98 yards
    Last edited by todbartell; 09-29-2023 at 12:38 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    7 PRC 175gr Precision Hunter ammo drifts 10" in a 10mph crosswind @ 490 yards, the 308 Win 178gr Precision Hunter drifts 10" @ 395 yards

Inside 300 yards, the 308 works very well for anything in BC with the right ammo. The average distance for my last dozen big game kills is 98 yards
    YOU just gotta get a New 7MM PRC Buddy RJ

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

You could really use any SA cartridge 6CM, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .308 etc with the quality constructed bullet options we have now a days for a lightweight mountain rifle, myself I like 280AI.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

A couple things. If you’re looking for a lighter rifle, a Ruger Hawkeye is not hit. It’s one of the heaviest factory rifle. As far as availability of factory ammo and reloading components, there probably more options for the Creedmoor than the .308 Win. I personally would not pick a cartridge based on a possible bear attack and even then a 6.5 Creedmoor will do. That being said, there’s nothing wrong with a light .308 Win but the ballistics will take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerduce View Post
    I currently shoot a 6.5 Creed Bergara B14 Ridge. It is a bit too heavy of a rifle for that caliber to be lugging up and down the mountain, imo. It became pretty obvious after my recent goat hunt. I am looking to move to a lightweight .308 with a short barrel. Something along the flavour of the Ruger Hawkeye. I know the 6.5 and .308 perform similarly, but I think the larger 30 cal is better for short range bear defense (low probability but still a factor), shorter barrel, lighter weight, cheaper to reload, and easier to find ammo.

I realize there are lot better calibers for mountain hunting, but for the above reasons, combined with the fact that I don't ever see myself shooting beyond 500m, I think the .308 hits the sweet spot.

Am I completely missing something? Anyone here have a .308 lightweight mountain rifle that would like to chime in? Or other thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    I'd just stick with the 6.5 Creed calibre and buy a lighter, quality firearm that fits your needs. Like Bullreaper's wife has, a Finnlight. Or wait for RJ to offer one of his sweet firearms up for sale and get a good deal!

I've had my .308 Kimber Montana for 10 years, and it's killed everything from all the mountain species to bears,elk moose deer etc...no problemo. Great rifle and the 308 does it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    I've had my .308 Kimber Montana for 10 years, and it's killed everything from all the mountain species to bears,elk moose deer etc...no problemo. Great rifle and the 308 does it all.
    Same with me…. What bullet do you use Ryan? The 165gr accubond for me is the right mix of speed and hitting power. Not too light and not too slow. It’s been great on many species over the last few years. That said I did just buy a mtn ascent in 6.5 creed. Not that it’ll do anything differently, more just to scratch an itch but it should be great for alpine mulies and maybe a goat or sheep. Cheers!

TJ

I shoot a Kimber Subalpine in .308 for everything. Never had an issue that wasn't the operators fault lol... Very lightweight gun paired with a VX5HD shooting Hornady ELD-X 178gr.

Get a lightweight 280ai. Mine is 6lbs 2oz scoped and shoots .25" groups