Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Re: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

A Tikka T3X Compact .308 WIN is my first rifle and I have to say that I was very happy with the first year. Smooth action and cycling. Scoped myself with the first shot and is taking some considerable effort and time with dummy rounds to remove a flinch.

It's 6 pounds 17 ounces and has a shorter barrel which I appreciate for humping the amount of ground I do and the type of bush I move through. I feel like I have sacrificed little since I doubt I will be taking a shot beyond 150 yards, and mostly likely will be closer to 40.

People dislike the synthetic stock but it was particularly useful to me as I live rurally in a Yurt... This allows me not only the spiritual superiority of living in a circular space, but also the inability to completely control temperature and humidity fluctuation. The structure has seasons lows of -5 C (23F), and seasonal highs of 38 degrees (100.4F) As well the humidity can move from 20 - 90+%.

It's much easier to reliably control the humidity in the winter as I heat with a wood stove.

All of this to say I needed to find a strategy to store a rifle that would not turn it into a block of rust. Keeping it lightly oiled, in the open(trigger locked), with the bolt in a separate safe has worked quite well. The bonus of the synthetic stock is I don't have to worry about the stock cracking or warping. I would like an after market stock but I am going to wait several years until my housing changes.

I do think that for smaller game harvests I think I will pick up a .243 in the future. I currently have a 1.75 X 5 scope on the 308 as I expect to be harvesting from close distances and would like a wide FOV. It would be nice to diversify and have a higher magnitude scope on the 308, while having a smaller caliber, lighter firearm with a minimal scope (or iron sights) for close ranges.

For versatility and access to ammunition it's been great. Picked a compact mountain gun and have not been disappointed.
    Last edited by Woodchuck Dan; 11-02-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    The Special Edition Tikka T3X True Timber VSX cammo ,cerakote barrel rifle ,not sure it would be light enough to be called a Mountain Rifle
    Maybe RJ knows ?
    Arctic Lake
    is that the 6.2 lb er ? RJ

RJ ! Yes in the .308 it weighs 6.2 pounds

I don’t own any Tikkas but it does look like a nice rifle .

Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    is that the 6.2 lb er ? RJ
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nice rifle ! Be better in 30-06 JMO RJ

I thought so as well , not that I really know anything about the intricacies of rifles though .

I already have a 30.06 as you know and a 6.5 Creedmoor . I was thinking another cartridge for that Tikka if purchased . Perhaps the .308 or 6.5 PRC ? Or another that you could get with that particular rifle .
    I did send you PM by the way .
    Arctic Lake
    Nice rifle ! Be better in 30-06 JMO RJ

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I've replaced all my plastic Tikka stocks with McMillan, Manner or MDT chassis, but they all shot well in the factory handles
    RICH BOY ! some of us have to stay with THE factory stuff ! lol RJ

RJ did you have a look at that Tikka Special Edition that was on sale at Cabelas ?
    Arctic Lake
    RICH BOY ! some of us have to stay with THE factory stuff ! lol RJ

Yes I did ! 👍 I have a Super Light Strata 30-06 Fluted Barrel and Bolt so I’m Set 😀. RJ

Quote Originally Posted by tylerduce View Post
    I currently shoot a 6.5 Creed Bergara B14 Ridge. It is a bit too heavy of a rifle for that caliber to be lugging up and down the mountain, imo. It became pretty obvious after my recent goat hunt. I am looking to move to a lightweight .308 with a short barrel. Something along the flavour of the Ruger Hawkeye. I know the 6.5 and .308 perform similarly, but I think the larger 30 cal is better for short range bear defense (low probability but still a factor), shorter barrel, lighter weight, cheaper to reload, and easier to find ammo.

I realize there are lot better calibers for mountain hunting, but for the above reasons, combined with the fact that I don't ever see myself shooting beyond 500m, I think the .308 hits the sweet spot.

Am I completely missing something? Anyone here have a .308 lightweight mountain rifle that would like to chime in? Or other thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    I think you're spot on with your reasoning. Yes, the 6.5 Creedmoor has some advantages in a lightweight mountain rifle platform, but the 308 has the edge with a shorter barrel, easier to find ammo, and is a little better choice for something like bear defense like you mentioned. With all that in mind, I can't fault your logic and I wish you luck afield with your new rifle!
    More info here if you're interested:https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/65...08-winchester/