Thread: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

Threaded View

Re: .308 Mountain Rifle - Your Thoughts

A Tikka T3X Compact .308 WIN is my first rifle and I have to say that I was very happy with the first year. Smooth action and cycling. Scoped myself with the first shot and is taking some considerable effort and time with dummy rounds to remove a flinch.

It's 6 pounds 17 ounces and has a shorter barrel which I appreciate for humping the amount of ground I do and the type of bush I move through. I feel like I have sacrificed little since I doubt I will be taking a shot beyond 150 yards, and mostly likely will be closer to 40.

People dislike the synthetic stock but it was particularly useful to me as I live rurally in a Yurt... This allows me not only the spiritual superiority of living in a circular space, but also the inability to completely control temperature and humidity fluctuation. The structure has seasons lows of -5 C (23F), and seasonal highs of 38 degrees (100.4F) As well the humidity can move from 20 - 90+%.

It's much easier to reliably control the humidity in the winter as I heat with a wood stove.

All of this to say I needed to find a strategy to store a rifle that would not turn it into a block of rust. Keeping it lightly oiled, in the open(trigger locked), with the bolt in a separate safe has worked quite well. The bonus of the synthetic stock is I don't have to worry about the stock cracking or warping. I would like an after market stock but I am going to wait several years until my housing changes.

I do think that for smaller game harvests I think I will pick up a .243 in the future. I currently have a 1.75 X 5 scope on the 308 as I expect to be harvesting from close distances and would like a wide FOV. It would be nice to diversify and have a higher magnitude scope on the 308, while having a smaller caliber, lighter firearm with a minimal scope (or iron sights) for close ranges.

For versatility and access to ammunition it's been great. Picked a compact mountain gun and have not been disappointed.
    Last edited by Woodchuck Dan; 11-02-2023 at 09:21 PM.