Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Staying warm while backpacking in cold weather, and bivy's

Re: Staying warm while backpacking in cold weather, and bivy's

I usually don’t suffer from being cold at night so I am not the best for advice, but I’ll tell you what I use in the alpine.
    The North Face synthetic sleeping bag rated for 0C (comfort), -7 (limit), -26(extreme). These seem to be realistic ratings to me, but everybody sleeps differently. One thing that I feel is important is to make sure your sleeping bag is washed before your trip. A clean sleeping bag is warmer than a sweaty, dirty bag.
    I sleep in socks, a merino t-shirt and a toque. The toque usually comes off. I use a sleeping pad with R-3.4 insulation value. I use a two person tipi tent with a bug screen inner and a ground sheet.
    I think it’s important to make sure you are well fed and hydrated before bed. Make sure you piss before crawling in and try to eat with a bit of time before you crawl in so your body isn’t diverting blood and energy to digestion. have a cup of tea before bed.
    some folks put a Nalgene filled with hot water in the sleeping bag with you. I’ve never used this before, but I think it’s a good idea.
    Also, remember to relax. Nervous tension worrying about being cold can make it worse than it really is. Mind over matter. Maybe easier said than done… One last thing is it’s not supposed to be the most comfortable sleep you have ever had.
    This is just what I do. It won’t necessarily work for everyone.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Good point on sleeping bag size Ron ,just enough room is key !
    Arctic LakeRon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Im a cold sleeper, so this to has been an issue for me. I now use an thermarest X therm pad. Makes my bacpacking bag feel much warmer then before. (Was using a prolite plus pad). Im also not a big guy but finding a bag with just enough room seemed to make a big difference. I sleep with a toque on while backpacking and have a warm drink and snack just before turning in.

I also use a stansfield (80 wool 20 nylon).but it never goes in my bag as usuall a bit damp at days end.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

As you get older I’m 67 years you tend to have to get up more in the the middle of the night to pee ,man youth is a great thing . Anyway if you have to get up and out of your bag to take a leak there goes the warmth trapped air in you bag . So I just remembered that some guys take an old Nalgene bottle ones that have BPA in the construction and right Poison on it ,and use as a piss bottle in the tent , empty in the morning .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I just did my first backpack hunt, actually snowed up high one night. It was pretty cold and damp where I camped good for the 5 w's but no sun hit it and it was right by water so it was damp and cold will be picking better spots in future, had my stanfields wool on, a downfilled jacket, toque and wool gloves/socks while sleeping and a supposed rated "-10 degrees celcius" sleeping bag (hah, yeah, right, fkn BS!).

What do you guys do to stay warm while sleeping? do sleeping bag liners work good? This is for sleeping in nylon etc.. tents, no open flame or wood stove. I am going to be doing some overnighters (1-4 nights) for Deer this November in very wet and cold stuff and want to be more prepared than I was this trip.

Also wondering about bivy's, going to grab one next year for Elk hunting want to be able to move every night easily if I want too, anybody got experience with them and what are some good ones and anything else I should get with them like footprint, liner etc...?
    I personally use a -20 sleeping bag, I believe when they say rated for -10 or whatever they mean that it should keep you alive but not necessarily comfortable in those temps? I then just sleep in a Marmot Nitro 2P tent, quite lightweight...I definitely don't sleep that close to water...I also keep a rag in my tent to carefully wipe the dew off the roof of the tent in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Observer I think the manufacturers over rate their sleeping bags . I think one needs to add in a B.S. factor ! Makes for a long night when your cold , been there done that ! When I got back I went and bought a better bag .
    Arctic Lake
    I’ve been told the max temp rating on sleeping bags just means it’ll keep you warm enough at that temp that you will survive the cold, not necessarily that you’ll be comfortable

I know a few guys running the stone glacier bag and they’re happy with it if you’re looking
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I’m thinking if buying a synthetic bag . I currently run a Taiga down bag but when down gets wet it’s useless
    !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I usually don’t suffer from being cold at night so I am not the best for advice, but I’ll tell you what I use in the alpine.
    The North Face synthetic sleeping bag rated for 0C (comfort), -7 (limit), -26(extreme). These seem to be realistic ratings to me, but everybody sleeps differently. One thing that I feel is important is to make sure your sleeping bag is washed before your trip. A clean sleeping bag is warmer than a sweaty, dirty bag.
    I sleep in socks, a merino t-shirt and a toque. The toque usually comes off. I use a sleeping pad with R-3.4 insulation value. I use a two person tipi tent with a bug screen inner and a ground sheet.
    I think it’s important to make sure you are well fed and hydrated before bed. Make sure you piss before crawling in and try to eat with a bit of time before you crawl in so your body isn’t diverting blood and energy to digestion. have a cup of tea before bed.
    some folks put a Nalgene filled with hot water in the sleeping bag with you. I’ve never used this before, but I think it’s a good idea.
    Also, remember to relax. Nervous tension worrying about being cold can make it worse than it really is. Mind over matter. Maybe easier said than done… One last thing is it’s not supposed to be the most comfortable sleep you have ever had.
    This is just what I do. It won’t necessarily work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I’m thinking if buying a synthetic bag . I currently run a Taiga down bag but when down gets wet it’s useless
    !
    Arctic Lake
    This is an non-issue now with any down sleeping bag that has been treated with DWR

I stay warm at night by heating up some water Putting it in my nalgene bottle and then into a sock. And it stays warm all night long in your sleeping bag. I also eat almonds Before bed

My down bag is hmmm 30 years old ,ii has a Gortex shell any recommendations on what I could spray on the surface to freshen up the surface ? I try not to walk it too much but when I do it’s with Nokias down wash in the bathtub and make sure when rising the water is clear . It’s a lot of work !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingm1987 View Post
    This is an non-issue now with any down sleeping bag that has been treated with DWR