Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butchering meat

Butchering meat

General question… can I butcher a game at the camp before bringing it home? Cut it all up into steaks , stew etc…
    thank you in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Butchering meat

Say it’s a deer, you need to leave a tail and proof of sex attached. CO could make your life miserable if you have most of it butchered aside from the requirements. I’d wait until you get home.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

my read is that butchering (which removes evidence of species/sex) cannot be done in camp. Although it doesn't directly state this in the synopsis is does state:

Removing Evidence of Sex & Species

Evidence of species and sex may be removed from the carcass or the hide of game:

after it arrives at a person’s normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumptionon the premises,
    after it is taken to a meat cutter
    or the owner oroperator of a cold storage plant, or
    after it has been inspected by a qualified Compulsory Inspector

Many of us get animals cut and wrapped a cutters in our hunting area and then transport the cut and wrapped meat home (across the province).
    Page 15 on the regs states

"Anyone having wildlife butchered and packaged should obtain from the butcher a receipt which indicates:
    the Fish and Wildlife ID, the species licence number,and the species, and sex of the animal taken."

Last edited by Ron.C; 09-23-2023 at 08:01 AM.

I’m wondering about this process as well ! As our upcoming hunt is for 2 weeks and if we get an animal early coukd I bring it back to town cut it up and freeze at my buddys home until I make the journey back to the coast .
    I think a phone chat with a CO may be needed .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

You cannot process and remove evidence of sex and species until you reach your primary residence or licensed meat cutter.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I’m wondering about this process as well ! As our upcoming hunt is for 2 weeks and if we get an animal early coukd I bring it back to town cut it up and freeze at my buddys home until I make the journey back to the coast .
    I think a phone chat with a CO may be needed .
    Arctic Lake

If its your moose, your tag, maybe you could get it inspected by a local CI? I beleive you would meet the third bullet below and be legally allowed to remove evidence of species/sex and subsequently butcher and transport it ( I guess that may apply to the OP's question to but I doubt you'd ever get a CI done in camp as most are done at the CI's residence or location of their chosing).

Evidence of species and sex may be removed from the carcass or the hide of game:

after it arrives at a person’s normal dwelling place and is butchered and stored there for consumptionon the premises,
    after it is taken to a meat cutter or the owner oroperator of a cold storage plant,or
    after it has been inspected by a qualified Compulsory Inspector.

If it's your buddies moose, your buddies tag and he butcher at home (and you are taking some butchered meat home to the coast with you) I beleive you need to comply with the following:

Transporting Wildlife

All persons who possess, transport or ship wildlife meat or parts of wildlife within the Province of British Columbia must have with them the species licence under which the animal was taken by that person, or, if the animal was taken by another person, a Record of Receipt of the wildlife (see page 14) showing:

the date and place of receipt,
    the name and address of the person who killed theanimal, or from whom it was acquired,
    the name and address of the person to whom the wildlife parts are to be delivered,
    the Fish and Wildlife ID or permit number of theperson who killed the animal,
    the species licence number under which the animal was taken, and the species and sex of the animal taken.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-23-2023 at 08:35 AM.

there is the point that evidence of sex is to remain attached to a portion of the carcass
    Does one steak, with a nut attached, in butchers wrap satisfy the reg?

we know what the intent is, at a roadside check They want to be able to identify what They are inspecting matches what the cut tag represents
    but they make one change to a reg and it always seems to confound another
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Why butcher it? You could keep it all in bigger pieces and debone it and put it on ice. Better yet, if it’s cool, hang it and quarter it on the last day. I’d leave the hind quarter intact with the tail and balls. A CO is going to want to be able to identify that you have one animal. Cleaner to process at home anyway.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Unless you’re staying in a really clean cabin or something I’d be leery about butchering in camp simply due to the lack of hygiene. Not saying you don’t keep a clean camp but it’s way easier to control your environment at home in your kitchen than it is out at some rec site 100 km from nowhere.

Thank You Ton your always helpful !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    If its your moose, your tag, maybe you could get it inspected by a local CI? I beleive you would meet the third bullet below and be legally allowed to remove evidence of species/sex and subsequently butcher and transport it ( I guess that may apply to the OP's question to but I doubt you'd ever get a CI done in camp as most are done at the CI's residence or location of their chosing).

after it is taken to a meat cutter or the owner oroperator of a cold storage plant,or
    after it has been inspected by a qualified Compulsory Inspector.

If it's your buddies moose, your buddies tag and he butcher at home (and you are taking some butchered meat home to the coast with you) I beleive you need to comply with the following:

Transporting Wildlife

All persons who possess, transport or ship wildlife meat or parts of wildlife within the Province of British Columbia must have with them the species licence under which the animal was taken by that person, or, if the animal was taken by another person, a Record of Receipt of the wildlife (see page 14) showing:

the date and place of receipt,
    the name and address of the person who killed theanimal, or from whom it was acquired,
    the name and address of the person to whom the wildlife parts are to be delivered,
    the Fish and Wildlife ID or permit number of theperson who killed the animal,
    the species licence number under which the animal was taken, and the species and sex of the animal taken.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !