Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Butchering meat

Re: Butchering meat

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Treed and Fella Thanks Again ! Praying to the weather gods for cool temps for our trip . Leaving Tuesday morning , be in the bush on Sept 28
    Arctic Lake
    good luck out ther AL
    hoping the rain knocks down any smoke for ya
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Good luck! Hope you connect and bring some meat home. It’s almost starting to make financial sense to hunt given meat prices now.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Good luck! Hope you connect and bring some meat home. It’s almost starting to make financial sense to hunt given meat prices now.
    Boy you must spend a lot when you go hunting? What is the average cost for beef these days? 10-15$ pound maybe? A smaller moose should render at least 400 pounds of meat @ $10 per lb that's $4000 worth of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Chris I hear ya . Does this apply only to one butchering it himself ? What if a fell brought out a bull early in his hunting trip and took to a butcher locally had it cut up and frozen so he picked it up on the way home to his primary residence several hours away . Not that I want to do that as I’m very capable of doing it myself. Not trying to stir the pot it’s just that you mentioned cutting it yourself .
    Arctic Lake
    The butcher would give you paperwork when you pick up the meat cut and frozen, show's you didn't cut it up yourself and evidence of species/sex etc was check already. WE do that all the time when we hunt the Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Why butcher it? You could keep it all in bigger pieces and debone it and put it on ice. Better yet, if it’s cool, hang it and quarter it on the last day. I’d leave the hind quarter intact with the tail and balls. A CO is going to want to be able to identify that you have one animal. Cleaner to process at home anyway.
    You are right. Doing it at home is much better condition. Problem is when we go on a moose group hunt and after first animal is taken someone needs to evacuate with the meat to prevent the spoilage. If the meat was divided in the camp it would be very convenient as I would have to deliver the coolers full of meat to other peoples houses. Dealing with the whole moose by one person is a serious challenge. Getting it to a butcher is VERY Wasteful. Hence there is a dilemma - everybody leave with one moose or send it over to a butcher?