Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any good moose hunting courses or info you recommend?

Any good moose hunting courses or info you recommend?

Anything out there like elk101 you might recommend?
    Anyone try the PDF from all-about-moose.com?
    Finally drew a tag in 5-1 for the second half of October after 8 years of trying. I don’t know much about moose. I did a bit of scouting in the summer beginning of august and Labour Day long weekend. We’ll be starting around Bridge lake if you have any tips.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any good moose hunting courses or info you recommend?

You have a great draw. The moose will be going into the second rut in the last half of your hunt. Absolutely great draw to have. I cut my teeth hunting moose in that area. Put in your time and the effort and you will get your moose. The numbers have been down for tge last 10 or so years but it's still a productive area. I wish I had the draw!

Yeah I’m looking forward to it. Fortunately my hunting partner is far more experienced than I am. I did get a cow and calf on one of the cameras I put up but unfortunately I’m out of town so won’t be able to get back up until the tag is good.

During the second rut-late October will bulls still be responsive to calling or is the action much more subdued?

Yes and there is absolutely nothing to loose by trying ! Practice ,Practice ,your calling . You Tube is your friend
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by GROOTSKY View Post
    During the second rut-late October will bulls still be responsive to calling or is the action much more subdued?
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Good Luck to you ! Hope you harvest an animal ! Lots of moose gurus on HBC who I’m sure will chime in .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Finally drew a tag in 5-1 for the second half of October after 8 years of trying. I don’t know much about moose. I did a bit of scouting in the summer beginning of august and Labour Day long weekend. We’ll be starting around Bridge lake if you have any tips.
    Thanks!

I’ve been seeing and watching moose all summer and since September 1st.
    3 bulls that responded to calls ( stopping and turning around) as well as a couple of cows and calves.
    One day had a cow turn and come right up to me with her calve to about 30 yards. Once I stretched out my arms and hands and bull grunted the calf beat the feet immediately and the cow was hot on its heels. Super cool.
    Late season bulls that haven’t had a chance to lay pipe will especially come in looking for
    a piece of tail. I’m hoping for a spike fork that’s looking for action!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Thanks!
    Moose are fairly easy to hunt, #1 they like water so hunt near water sources, lakes, rivers even little hidden pot holes. #2 moose like to feed on red willow, areas with water and red willow is where you will find them hanging out. #3 moose can't fly, they leave tracks, learn the difference between bull and cow moose tracks and then hunt those previously mentioned areas where you find fresh bull moose tracks. #4 moose will often come out into large cuts [with water/feed] in the dark and bed down, if you can find a good spot to glass an appropriate area go there just before daylight and glass for a moose getting out of it's bedding site. They sometimes will stay there until the sun is well into the sky and warming things up, like 11am or so, so don't give up early, sit and watch and make some mournful cow moose calls to entertain them.

Good luck on your leh hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Moose are fairly easy to hunt, #1 they like water so hunt near water sources, lakes, rivers even little hidden pot holes. #2 moose like to feed on red willow, areas with water and red willow is where you will find them hanging out. #3 moose can't fly, they leave tracks, learn the difference between bull and cow moose tracks and then hunt those previously mentioned areas where you find fresh bull moose tracks. #4 moose will often come out into large cuts [with water/feed] in the dark and bed down, if you can find a good spot to glass an appropriate area go there just before daylight and glass for a moose getting out of it's bedding site. They sometimes will stay there until the sun is well into the sky and warming things up, like 11am or so, so don't give up early, sit and watch and make some mournful cow moose calls to entertain them.

Good luck on your leh hunt.
    Thanks for the tips! Any good YouTube references for calling?

Not sure if he’s on YouTube Ken Capling (sp) from Ontario World Champion .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 09-25-2023 at 10:02 AM.