Thread: Water filters

Water filters

On our sheep hunt one of the hunters had the Platypus gravityworks filter. we used it and \i was extremely impressed worked as advertised. simple gravity no pumping. Trick is to back flush every two litres and it will remain efficient. I plan to include that in any future hunts in the back country. \highly recommend.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Water filters

I will second you on this, we own one and they work great. No pumping

I used to use that and before that was the katedyn whicj was a pump... now I have gone to a Grayl as it basically eliminates a peice of gear since its a water bottle in one..

I have a gravity filter and a pump. The only place the pump wins is if there’s a small creek without enough water to dip the bag style in and scoop up water
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Love that filter. I got it last year. Works great. Even was able to drink swamp water lol

I have had one for years. Works very well. It was very slow in filtering bay the end on our last trip. Even back
    flushing at camp did not help much. Thought I would have to replace the filter (app. $100). Decided to use use a mild cleaner and back flushed many times at home.
    The crap that came out of it amazing. Works like new.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksn95 View Post
    I used to use that and before that was the katedyn whicj was a pump... now I have gone to a Grayl as it basically eliminates a peice of gear since its a water bottle in one..
    What i really liked about the platypus filter was the fact we could fill the 4 liter water jugs we packed in. At camp we would filter 24 liters of water which came from a depression we created and collected rain water and a still shit pond about a 1/4 mile away . we were able to spend quite a bit of time on top without having to go down the valley to a stream 2 miles away.

I love the system, but the filter on mine sucked. Worked great for one trip, then could never get it to go again despite trying all kinds of backflushing, vinegar, etc. Replaced the filter cartridge with a Sawyer Squeeze and it's working great.