Thread: Are rivers considered crown land? - Waterfowl hunting from a canoe - question

Are rivers considered crown land? - Waterfowl hunting from a canoe - question

Hi There,

This is my first season of hunting and I am excited to get some time in learning the basics. I live in the West Kootenays and will be traveling to Creston to be hunting waterfowl this season - However I have a question specifically about the Slocan Valley where I live:

I have a small canoe I was thinking about float hunting the Slocan River with, there are small waterways off the main river that seem like good duck habitat and I figured I would nose around in there with my 12 gauge.

Are rivers and their waterways considered crown land? I know I have to be XX meters away from roads/the rail trail/buildings/livestock. I'm under the impression that waterways cannot be owned privately. Following this reasoning if I am using common sense and am in a canoe, is this a legal hunting method?

I'm having trouble confirming this looking through the regs or the maps of crownland on ihunter. Any thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Are rivers considered crown land? - Waterfowl hunting from a canoe - question

Yes lakes and rivers are crown if naturally occurring and not man made. Quick google search will confirm this