Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5-15a LEH Moose advice

5-15a LEH Moose advice

My hunting partner got the early draw. We will be there Sept 20 - Oct 2nd.

I will be there to help with calling. Hopefully field dress and pack as well. Maybe hope to stumble into a legal deer...

I have hunted deer and grouse here before, but not moose. Fished the Horsefly fairly often so know the lay of the land somewhat.

Trying to decide where to camp, where to start hunting... up high, down in the creek bottoms or a mid elevation travel lane I found a few years back.

If anyone has any pointers for us and is willing to share, please let me know.

Thx!
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-15a LEH Moose advice

hmmm wind-water....for that draw...stay in the northern part of the M-U.
    CALLING....last few days of Sept..

sendA PM WITH ph number will try and help....35 years in region5-15 chasing slobber donkeys

steven

Thank you Steven.
    Sending a PM now...
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Similar area draw here but first 2 weeks of october. Driving in from cabin on mahood lake . Hey Srupp there is quite a bit of are/cut/water in south west of MU and closer to cabin. May camp also.

Cheers for and info.

As a property owner in the area I would just like to remind everyone that much of the land along Canim-Hendrix Lake Road is private. I would also like to echo Srupp's suggestion of going north in 5-15A. Better area to hunt and higher density. I will be up there with my family as we have the draw for September. Good luck to all, just don't shoot ours lol!

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    My hunting partner got the early draw. We will be there Sept 20 - Oct 2nd.

I will be there to help with calling. Hopefully field dress and pack as well. Maybe hope to stumble into a legal deer...

I have hunted deer and grouse here before, but not moose. Fished the Horsefly fairly often so know the lay of the land somewhat.

Trying to decide where to camp, where to start hunting... up high, down in the creek bottoms or a mid elevation travel lane I found a few years back.

If anyone has any pointers for us and is willing to share, please let me know.

Thx!
    If it were me, I'd camp at Bosk Lake (free campsite) and hunt from there to the northern boundary of the MU. There's also a free campsite at Crooked Lake and the surrounding areas are very moosey. Went there for the 1st time 5 years ago and got our bull on the 4th day with out any scouting. We did have horseshoes up our ass though.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

hmmmm nate....PERFECT TIMING congrads you will need to hunt differently than sept or nov..but success during the rut is 4x sept/nov.....
    sent you pm with my ph number have some suggestions based on 35 years in region 5-15.looking for slobber donkeys some areas will have been hunted in Sept...

congradulations
    Steven

Success!

Saw 3 bulls, first before the tag was in camp, second was 10 mins after legal light... third was our lucky bull.

Thx for the suggestion Steven.

ej

Success!

Saw 3 bulls, first before the tag was in camp, second was 10 mins after legal light... third was our lucky bull.

ej
    Well done! We were just north of you in 5-15C and had no success. All the places we've been seeing moose for the past 10 years were a dead zone. No bulls in 6 days of hard hunting, just one skittish young cow.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thumbs up Re: 5-15a LEH Moose advice

Success!

ej
    Excellent! Congrats!
    Always great to have advise from those "in the know".

Pix by any chance?

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me